• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for abortion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malinoislady

California.

I am choosing to have an abortion done in a couple of weeks. The father (exboyfriend) doesn't want to help out with the cost, is it fair for me to ask him to pay half?

I have already told him that I needed help paying for it, especially considering the exboyfriend doesn't want anything further to do with me or the pregnancy. His cop-out is: "well your husband gave you the choice to have an abortion or get a divorce, so it's his responsibility to pay for it."

Can I make the exboyfriend pay half or am I screwed (yet again)?

Thanks in advance...

~Stephanie

Last edited:

justalayman

and you know this to be the BF's and not the husbands positively because?

How is the BF to knwo it is not anothers? (not saying anything about you, simply fact). If you were cheating on the husband, who knows anything else?

It's yours and your husbands bill. At least I believe it is both of yours in Cali anyway. I am presuming from your post you are still with your husband.

malinoislady

Husband had a vascectomy, recent test confirmed there are still no swimmers getting through (had it done a week ago). Yes, we are still together.

justalayman

even with the test a doctor will not give you a guarantee.

without DNA test there is no proof as to fatherhood. Contrary to to Shay's post, if there is enough material to test, a DNA test can be done on the fetus.

I still believe it is you and your husbands bill legally.

Shay-Pari'e

Even if she wasn't married and a DNA test is done showing he is Daddy, she still can't force him to pay. Her choice to have the abortion.

I think Kelly is playing under a couple of names today, but we shall see.

justalayman

I didnt disagree with that part Shay just correcting that part of your post..

I'll admit, it may have sounded like I was disagreeing with you but I wasn't.

from my first post:
It's yours and your husbands bill. At least I believe it is both of yours in Cali anyway. I am presuming from your post you are still with your husband

That did not remotely imply the BF has any responsibility. My question was to the fact of it being in California and if this type of expense would be a joint debt or not.

AHA

California.

I am choosing to have an abortion done in a couple of weeks. The father (exboyfriend) doesn't want to help out with the cost, is it fair for me to ask him to pay half?

I have already told him that I needed help paying for it, especially considering the exboyfriend doesn't want anything further to do with me or the pregnancy. His cop-out is: "well your husband gave you the choice to have an abortion or get a divorce, so it's his responsibility to pay for it."

Thanks in advance...

~Stephanie
Since it is YOUR choice to terminate the life, it's YOUR responsibility to pay for it. Hubby might be out of the running, but since your ex bf can't possibly be sure that he was the only affair you had at the time of conception, so why should he have to pay to get rid of a "child" that you can't prove is his???

xylene

Since it is YOUR choice to terminate the life, it's YOUR responsibility to pay for it. Hubby might be out of the running, but since your ex bf can't possibly be sure that he was the only affair you had at the time of conception, so why should he have to pay to get rid of a "child" that you can't prove is his???
Except thats totally incorrect.

Paternity HAS NO BEARING ON ABORTION RIGHTS OR FINANCIAL OBLIGATION FOR AN ABORTION.

Check you moral indignation at the door AHA.

If you could prove BF was father... he still has no financial obligation for YOUR abortion.

BF can't object to you having an abortion.

He can't refuse to pay child support by demanding you have one.

YOU have the limited right to free yourself from the condition of PREGNANCY.

Killing the fetus is just a side benefit.

If your daughter was like that girl on the commerical for Jesus - the one who survived being aborted - you would still have your parental rights... and dad (BF) would STILL owe child support.

Go use you rights and stop whining about your spineless boyfriend.

Its your procedure. His child has zero to do with it. The bill is all yours.

You Are Guilty

Husband had a vascectomy, recent test confirmed there are still no swimmers getting through (had it done a week ago). Yes, we are still together.
If hubby had his boys snipped "a week ago", there's no way you could know whether you are even pregnant now, as it takes longer than a week to detect. Plus, given the timeframe provided, it sounds like hubby's little swimmers still uh, had "a path to freedom" during the time you could have become pregnant.

Now, this doesn't mean the previous answers were not correct (they are), it just means you're either lying or very bad with dates.

malinoislady

To clarify: Husband had a vascectomy 5 years ago. He went in a week ago to confirm he was still not able to father a child.

"had it done a week ago" - sorry, that was meant as "had it rechecked a week ago".

Thank you all again for the replies.

AHA

Except thats totally incorrect.

Paternity HAS NO BEARING ON ABORTION RIGHTS OR FINANCIAL OBLIGATION FOR AN ABORTION.

Check you moral indignation at the door AHA.

If you could prove BF was father... he still has no financial obligation for YOUR abortion.

BF can't object to you having an abortion.

He can't refuse to pay child support by demanding you have one.

YOU have the limited right to free yourself from the condition of PREGNANCY.

Killing the fetus is just a side benefit.

If your daughter was like that girl on the commerical for Jesus - the one who survived being aborted - you would still have your parental rights... and dad (BF) would STILL owe child support.

Go use you rights and stop whining about your spineless boyfriend.

Its your procedure. His child has zero to do with it. The bill is all yours.
Calm down, I asked OP a simple question (that she totally ignored BTW), there's no need for you to get your panties in a twist.

BelizeBreeze

California.

Of course it would be 'fair'. It's also fair for him to ask you to pay 1/2 for his condoms.
I have already told him that I needed help paying for it, especially considering the exboyfriend doesn't want anything further to do with me or the pregnancy.
o.k.
His cop-out is: "well your husband gave you the choice to have an abortion or get a divorce, so it's his responsibility to pay for it."
so you're married and screwing around? Guess what? He's right.
no.

Simple huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">