• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for billing errors? The customer or the company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthonymartelle

I recently graduated with my Master's. Several weeks after I receive a bill from the university stating they forgot to bill me for something at the start of my last semester. Students pay their tuition bills prior to the start of each semester. I paid my bill on time and my account stated I was current. Only after I graduate do they notice their mistake and send me a bill for $990. It's a small bill, I know, but can they hold me accountable for their error?

racer72

I knew someone that had a degree retracted over a smaller amount. It would be in your best interest to pay what you owe.

swalsh411

You can certainly ask for them to split the difference due to their error but you may have a problem with them verifying the degree down the road if you have an outstanding balance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are responsible to pay what you owe. Just because they missed billing it doesn't mean you are relieved of the responsibility for paying it (yet)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">