• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who to sue or county to file suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnyside

What is the name of your state? CA
We are planning to file a suit against our former HOA property management. When we bought our townhouse in 1999, we were told that there's not enough funds for the HOA to build a deck but they promised to reimburse us in the future if we do the building ourselves which we did in 2002. After the construction, we sent them a bill which they acknowledged in a letter stating that they will reimburse our expenses when funds are available. I sold the house in 2004.

I almost forgot about this deal until 4 months ago when I suddenly remembered that the HOA owed us money. I sent them a letter and they responded that they are no longer the property management company managing the property. So I wrote this new HOA company. They in turn outright told us that they're not paying due to insufficient funds. That was that!

We were promised to get paid and we're collecting whatever reason they may have. So who should I sue here, is it the management company who promised to pay us back or the new management company running the HOA right now? By the way, these two companies are in the same county while the townhouse is in a separate county? Which county should I file the suit at? The amount owed to us us $1900. Do we even have a chance of winning this case? Any answer is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You sold the unit. You received a higher sales price due to the deck. You have already been "reimbursed".
I'm sure others will have opinions...

racer72

The new owners might have a cause for action, they accepted that when they bought the townhouse. And that would only apply if you stated that the asset was owed moneys by the HOA when you sold the unit. If you did not pass this debt along with the sale of the townhome, the new owners don't have a case either. You have no cause for action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">