• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mommamerv

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I run an alteration/gift shop that also has tuxedo rentals. I have a situation where one of the tuxes have not come back. The tuxedo company will charge me for a lost tux if it is not returned (in which I will have paid for something that I don't have). I feel that when the bride and groom come in and pick out the styles and proceed to give me all of the names of the people they are having in their wedding and they inform all of those people to get in and get measured in the time needed that when it comes time for the tuxes to be returned it should also somewhat be the bride and grooms duty to follow through.

I know that most of these people are adults and should have common sense to do it on their own.... but I feel that the bride and groom hold a degree of responsibility to make sure that they have all been returned. It was their wedding.

Am I correct in this? Even though phone numbers and addresses are taken, shouldn't the bride and groom be held accountable?

mommamerv said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I run an alteration/gift shop that also has tuxedo rentals. I have a situation where one of the tuxes have not come back. The tuxedo company will charge me for a lost tux if it is not returned (in which I will have paid for something that I don't have). I feel that when the bride and groom come in and pick out the styles and proceed to give me all of the names of the people they are having in their wedding and they inform all of those people to get in and get measured in the time needed that when it comes time for the tuxes to be returned it should also somewhat be the bride and grooms duty to follow through.

I know that most of these people are adults and should have common sense to do it on their own.... but I feel that the bride and groom hold a degree of responsibility to make sure that they have all been returned. It was their wedding.

Am I correct in this? Even though phone numbers and addresses are taken, shouldn't the bride and groom be held accountable?
No, the bride and groom are not responsible..but you knew that.

M

mommamerv

To prevent further conflicts with tuxedo returns could we enstate a policy that we will ask for phone numbers, addresses AND a major credit card number to hold if tuxedos do not come back? Just like how motels secure your room for you with a credit card? Or add on a hefty deposit that they get back if it is returned properly? A lot of profit goes out the door with one tuxedo in these cases. It's very costly on a small business.

Having them sign agreements mean nothing if they skip or they live a significant distance away. Just like NSF checks.....you can get all the proper info in the world and still not collect.

JETX

mommamerv said:
To prevent further conflicts with tuxedo returns could we enstate a policy that we will ask for phone numbers, addresses AND a major credit card number to hold if tuxedos do not come back? Or add on a hefty deposit that they get back if it is returned properly?
As the owner of the property, you have the right to set any rules you want.... and you think that the market will tolerate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">