• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why am I being sued and do they have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thefox

Washington
My 21 year old daughter was involved in a 4 car accident a few months ago. She was the last car involved. She was not insured.
I don't own the vehicle she was driving but I have insurance on it. She was not on my insurance.
She says the driver in front of her (the 3rd car) slammed into the car ahead (the 2nd car), which then was pushed into the 1st car. My daughter says the accident had already happened by the time she hit the car in front of her. The only car that had to be towed away was the car my daughter hit. Our car had a smashed in bumper and grill but no other damage. The car in front of her was totaled with all of the damages being to the front of that vehicle.
The driver of the car that my daughter hit (the 3rd car) is suing my daughter and I for damages to her car. That driver says my daughter hit her, totaling the car and shoving her car into the car in front of her which caused a chain reaction.
I was not at the accident, I don't own the vehicle my daughter was driving, nor was I involved in anyway, other than carrying insurance on the vehicle.
Also, as I was going over the police report and a letter from their insurance company. It appears the driver my daughter hit was not the owner of the vehicle.
Why am I named in the lawsuit and can she sue us for damages to a car that she doesn't own?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Washington
My 21 year old daughter was involved in a 4 car accident a few months ago. She was the last car involved. She was not insured.
I don't own the vehicle she was driving but I have insurance on it. She was not on my insurance.
She says the driver in front of her (the 3rd car) slammed into the car ahead (the 2nd car), which then was pushed into the 1st car. My daughter says the accident had already happened by the time she hit the car in front of her. The only car that had to be towed away was the car my daughter hit. Our car had a smashed in bumper and grill but no other damage. The car in front of her was totaled with all of the damages being to the front of that vehicle.
The driver of the car that my daughter hit (the 3rd car) is suing my daughter and I for damages to her car. That driver says my daughter hit her, totaling the car and shoving her car into the car in front of her which caused a chain reaction.
I was not at the accident, I don't own the vehicle my daughter was driving, nor was I involved in anyway, other than carrying insurance on the vehicle.
Also, as I was going over the police report and a letter from their insurance company. It appears the driver my daughter hit was not the owner of the vehicle.
Why am I named in the lawsuit and can she sue us for damages to a car that she doesn't own?
The simple answer, YES.

Even though the car was owned by you and insured under your name only, and your daughter was not specifically a named insured, unless she was specifically EXCLUDED on your policy, it should cover her as the driver of the car. (Which is why most insurance companies insist that all household and family members living with you of driving age are either included or specifically excluded from the policy coverage.)

Your daughter hit the 3rd car most likely because she was not paying close enough attention to the vehicles in front of her. Had she been driving more carefully and kept a safe distance from that car in front of her, she could have stopped sooner and avoided the accident altogether.

The driver of the 3rd car can hold both you (the vehicle owner, because you allowed your daughter to drive the car) and your daughter (the vehicle driver) responsible for the damages to their car.

I suggest that you turn this matter over to YOUR insurance company to take care of the damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">