• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why does the winning plaintiff have to contact the debtor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I received a judgment in my favor a a plaintiff in a small claims suit. The letter from the court indicated that I should "Contact the judgment debtor and request payment within thirty days." Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the court? Why need I contact a person I'd rather not have any further contact with? If I do contact this person, how should I do it; email, phone or certified letter? What should I say or not say in the communication?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I received a judgment in my favor a a plaintiff in a small claims suit. The letter from the court indicated that I should "Contact the judgment debtor and request payment within thirty days." Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the court? Why need I contact a person I'd rather not have any further contact with? If I do contact this person, how should I do it; email, phone or certified letter? What should I say or not say in the communication?
It state's you should .

If you do not receive payment in 10 business days ,send a letter certified RRR.

[U]http://www.courts.state.ny.us/ithaca/city/webpageguidetosmallclaims.html[/U]

Last edited:

cosine

This is just the beginning. There are more steps you can do if the loser doesn't pay up. You may have to go back through the courts for some of these. Further steps include garnishment and/or property seizure. Be sure to follow the letter of the law for your state on how those are carried out. But, first, make the direct contact to give the loser the chance to simply pay up. Certified letter might work.

debodun

Thank you to those that responded. I don't do this every day, so I need some kind of guidance on how to phrase the letter. Thanks.

collard greens

I can sympathize with you because I had an experience that would have made contacting the losing defendant imprudent. I once won a small claims law suit against a woman for an accident she caused. She had no insurance and I had to sue her for damages to my vehicle. Before the trial, she falsely accused me of harassing her to the police and her coworkers. After the trial, I obviously could not contact her to collect as I have been given good grounds to suspect she might falsely accuse me again of harassing her by phone. Though I could easily prove my innocence as I did with her previous false allegations of harassment, why would I subject myself to that ordeal again? I simply filed for a writ of execution (the state I lived in did not have a wage garnishment option) as soon as the trial ended.

BL

I can sympathize with you because I had an experience that would have made contacting the losing defendant imprudent. I once won a small claims law suit against a woman for an accident she caused. She had no insurance and I had to sue her for damages to my vehicle. Before the trial, she falsely accused me of harassing her to the police and her coworkers. After the trial, I obviously could not contact her to collect as I have been given good grounds to suspect she might falsely accuse me again of harassing her by phone. Though I could easily prove my innocence as I did with her previous false allegations of harassment, why would I subject myself to that ordeal again? I simply filed for a writ of execution (the state I lived in did not have a wage garnishment option) as soon as the trial ended.

Your post is irrelevant .

Now go eat your greens,corn bread,and chicken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">