• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will this hold up in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caseyinca

What is the name of your state? California

I have emails from the person who is suing me saying they would not pursue for the money that I owed. We reached an agreement to let it go. Now they have filed suit again a few months later. Will her emails saying that she would let the debt drop hold up in court and get it dismissed?

dcatz

They wouldn't get it dismissed. As long as it's a valid debt, she's entitled to pursue it. Nothing that you've posted would change that.

las365

Did you give something of value to her in exchange for her promise not to pursue the debt? You can argue release, but if there wasn't any consideration (usually money) given from you to her as part of that agreement, it's not enforceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">