• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I be able to sue? Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thunt2486

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Alright, so back in April I loaned my friend $400.00 for him to pay his rent. He no longer lives at the apartments as he was "evicted" from his residence a few days ago. I have yet to this day to recieve a dime from him and he claims he now "just cannot afford to pay me back." I loaned him cash money. I did not get a contract or anything in writing from him. The ONLY thing I have to show is a bank statement where I withdrew money from my account. I want my money back and I know he isn't going to pay me back. I know where he works at. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my money back based on what I have? Thanks.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Alright, so back in April I loaned my friend $400.00 for him to pay his rent. He no longer lives at the apartments as he was "evicted" from his residence a few days ago. I have yet to this day to recieve a dime from him and he claims he now "just cannot afford to pay me back." I loaned him cash money. I did not get a contract or anything in writing from him. The ONLY thing I have to show is a bank statement where I withdrew money from my account. I want my money back and I know he isn't going to pay me back. I know where he works at. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my money back based on what I have? Thanks.
A bank statement showing that you withdrew money from your account shows just that - that you took money out of your account. It doesn't prove that you gave it to your friend, or that there was any agreement to pay the money back.

Sure, you could sue him. He could admit that he borrowed the money and you'd have a slam dunk. But all you would end up with is a JUDGMENT, not the money he owes you. Getting the judgment is the easy part - you still have to do the collecting. They do allow for wage garnishment (25% of their pay).

IMHO, if he just got evicted, he probably has the apartment complex ahead of you in the collection part. If he has any other debts that haven't been paid, he probably has already been sue for those amounts as well. Any judgment you do get, you'd have to stand in line behind anyone else who also has one against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">