• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I need reciepts and stuff for this? Advise, please and thanks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheWalrus

First some backstory. Me and my dad have never got on to fabulously, he doesn't trust me, and he pretty much treats me and my sister like dirt, compared to his rich-bitch stepdaughters, who he loves beyond all belief. To give you an idea of what this guy is like, he's deluded himself into thinking that my sister (Who's 13 and very nearly blind) doesn't need to learn braille, and that she can be just like anyone else if she tries (Her vision has been degenerating steadily since she was 4, and she also has severe learning disabilities. Oh, and three kidneys, only two of which work). He actually RESISTED my mother teaching her Braille.

Back on the 'him not trusting me' thing. If a single thing around the house goes missing, he blames me. I actually am afraid of going to his house anymore, as if anything more disappears, he's most likely going to try and press charges on me. He once tried to do this when he couldn't find $5 he left on the counter (He later found it), and the cops just laughed at him.

So you could imagine that he wasn't too pleased when he noticed that he couldn't find my stepsister's Playstation 2. He claims he saw it a week ago, but I certainly hadn't, and it wouldn't be the first time he had fabricated evidence for the purpose of getting me in trouble. I hadn't seen the system for a good six months, and my older sister always had some, ah, rough sorts coming in and out of the house, so I wouldn't be at all suprised if one of them took it months and months ago. So, he called up where I work(a video game store), and asked them if I'd sold a PS2 recently. In a rather unfortunate coincidence for me, I had. I'd purchased a PS2 from a friend that didn't work for 50 bucks, cleaned it up and cleaned the lens (Fixing its problems) and sold it.

I arrived home the same day he had done this, not knowing of his activities, to discover that he had come by (to my mom's home, where I live 80% of the time), and taken MY PS2 and Gamecube, along with all my games. When I arrived at his house to get them, still not knowing what was going on, he sat me down in the living room and told me he was about to call the cops. Luckily for me, I hadn't known about this, so I, in his eyes, couldn't call my friend to 'fabricate' a story. I told him to call my friend, and he did. Story checks out, who'd have thought it .

So, my dad still had my stuff. He game me back my Gamecube, as he hasn't had anything to do with it's purchase, but he still has my PS2, which he bought me, and all my games, maybe three of which he bought me. He's now said that he has 'all the proof he needs' that I stole the PS2, and that he'd be keeping my stuff forever.

So, I need to know if I would be able to call the police, and ask them to retrieve for me at least the games that I purchased, if not the ones he did as well, along with the PS2. Once a gift is given, is it still the property of the giver?

Also, I'm 16, if that makes a difference, as I imagine it might. Also I live in Canada, if that makes a difference, as I imagine it might.

I'm crossposting this between here and the 'search blablabla' forum because I want to know what my options here are. If I can call the cops, I will. But if I can't, I don't know if I'd be able to take him to court as I don't have the recipts for most of the stuff.

K

knotcops

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
**** U.S. LAW ONLY - PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STATE BECAUSE LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
Also, I'm 16, if that makes a difference, as I imagine it might. Also I live in Canada, if that makes a difference, as I imagine it might.

There's the answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">