• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will a letter ruin my case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asklaw

What is the name of your state? NYC

I lent a friend $2,000, then for christmas I wrote him a personal letter. In the letter I wrote that he didn't have to worry about paying me back. I recently found out that he was just using me for money, so I want to take him to SCC. I have the bank slips that show my depositing money into his account, will I be able to get the money back, or will the letter that I wrote for christmas throw out my case? Please respond and Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

asklaw said:

I lent a friend $2,000, then for christmas I wrote him a personal letter. In the letter I wrote that he didn't have to worry about paying me back. I recently found out that he was just using me for money, so I want to take him to SCC. I have the bank slips that show my depositing money into his account, will I be able to get the money back, or will the letter that I wrote for christmas throw out my case? Please respond and Thank you.

My response:

You have no case. The money was a gift and, with your letter, he can actually prove it!

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

asklaw said:

You forgave the debt and gave bad friend a nice Christmas present.

I recently found out that he was just using me for money...

Surely you must have suspected this last Christmas when you wrote the letter giving him the dough.

JETX

Yep. Even if you had an 'iron-clad' case against him for the loan... your letter 'modified' any agreement and superceded the original one.
If you have any additional 'extra' money.... send it to me c/o the forum. Be sure to include a 'give away' letter!! :D

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
If you have any additional 'extra' money.... send it to me c/o the forum. Be sure to include a 'give away' letter!! :D
Hey! What about MY share?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">