• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withheld invoices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friarliar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
a lady divorced her husband, he lives in the home and she got an apt. She got a bill from a dentist for 174.00 but ex husband withheld bills and demands for payment, for a year. She paid copay at the time of service and thought balance was covered. Dentist turned bill over to legal, and they filed small claims. They added 250.00 for legal fees, and she couldnt afford legal when she got served. Now ex husband says he will assist in return for sex. I feel that was his plan. She is barely surviving with economy and reduced work hours at her employment. What would you advise?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
a lady divorced her husband, he lives in the home and she got an apt. She got a bill from a dentist for 174.00 but ex husband withheld bills and demands for payment, for a year. She paid copay at the time of service and thought balance was covered. Dentist turned bill over to legal, and they filed small claims. They added 250.00 for legal fees, and she couldnt afford legal when she got served. Now ex husband says he will assist in return for sex. I feel that was his plan. She is barely surviving with economy and reduced work hours at her employment. What would you advise?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why is her ex-husband responsible for her not getting her mail? Didn't she file a change of address form with the post office? Didn't she inform the people with whom she does business, and/or to whom she owes money, about her new address? She owes the money even if she doesn't get a bill, but it was her responsibility to make sure they were informed of her address.

friarliar

I agree with that, to a point. There may be some details I am not aware of, but I think what happened was that she didnt have a permanent address at first, she was staying with friends. And as I mentioned, she thought the dental bill was covered by insurance. But for whatever reason, I wonder what to advise, from this point forward. Would you try to send payments as you can afford them, even if they are small payments? And would you send them directly to the dentist and ignore the lawyer?

Tamoko

I moved to a few places and went to the post office to have my address changed but the post office was still sending different articles of mail to all these different places. Perhaps it was changed--the post office just never fixed it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">