• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Won" the case, but I'm the big loser--what can I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelenM

What is the name of your state? TX

I verbally agreed to pay a subcontractor $500 to do some work for me. In my industry--concrete flooring--it is standard to pay by the job or by square footage.

Work was complete. I wrote a check for $500, but my subcontractor refused it on the grounds that his work was interrupted by the owner and the builder of this particular home wanting to inspect some items. He demanded $660 to include time spent waiting. I refused and was sued for $660.

Two weeks after the trial the judge sent a letter finding judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $500.

I won, right??? WRONG! Not only was this reported to two credit bureaus, but I was ordered to pay the plaintiff's court costs.

I am now in the process of buying a home. My credit score has fallen from a nearly perfect 770, down to 687. My loan is costing me more than it should. I am getting screwed and will continue to get screwed for the next 30 years.

The court refuses to change their records or have the credit agencies remove this from theirs.

What can I do???? Please help!

It is obvious that the initial 500 dollars was never in dispute. You should have paid that amount in a cashier's check sent by certified mail RRR. The Plaintiff would then be forced to file suit for the remaining 160 dollars of that claim (and be found lacking in his claim). When you find that it is more expensive to do battle in court than to stand on principle, you will find inner peace.

The inner peace of knowing, next time, that your credit score will be unaffected.

You can always file a motion for reconsideration (rehearing), if the time to file has not yet expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">