• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won Case - now what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjtoth

What is the name of your state? PA
My son, who is a college student in PA, received a judgment from a Philadelphia court against a former roommate who stole money, did not pay rent and left college. The judgment was for $902.00.
The defendent now lives in North Carolina (LKA). We have a "writ of execution" from the Philadelphia court. We were told we have to send an "affidavit" (not sure what that is) to the Sherriff in Charlotte, NC. Will he serve the "writ" on this fellow?What are our chances of seeing the money? The Philadelphia court gave my son some papers that said he should try to get the fellow's bank account information (I don't think as an individual we can do something like that). What is our next step? I am trying to take care of this for my son who is quite tied up at school. Thanks for any help.

Ladynred

The judgment won in PA is only enforcable in PA. In order for that writ of execution to do you any good the judgment will have to be filed in NC, THEN a new writ of execution is needed. You most certainly can get his banking info thru the courts. You either drag him into court for a debtor's exam or you send him interrogatories that he MUST answer or be found in contempt of court (could even be arrested !).

FYI - if the guy works, wages cannot be garnished in NC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">