• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering if I have any legal stance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crayola

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'll try to keep this as short and concise as I can...

I had met a girl a few months ago and at the time she said she had broken up with her boyfriend and coincidentally was getting a 40% cut in her hours at work too. Plus, she was on a restricted license so couldnt really drive anywhere.

We started dating. We spent a good amount of time together (almost everyday). Months later when her 40% cut in work hours was reinstated the time we spent together decreased. Then a few weeks later her "ex-boyfriend" who she had claimed she wasnt with showed up at her house irate that I was there. At which point she tells me she cant talk to me anymore.

Immediately I called her out on being dishonest with me and obviously him and using me to wine and dine her during the period that she had minimal income (literally enough to just pay her rent). Her response was that she would reimburse me for her half of all the expenses I incurred and to send her a bill (I have 2 texts from her saying that).

So that's exactly what I did, I tallied up my receipts and sent her the "bill". She disputed some charges via email, I gave that to her. Then she claimed she would put herself on the monthly payment plan. I denied that one because I'm not a charity or bank. Then a week goes by and I haven't received a check so I email her asking what happen. Her reply was I never gave her an address to mail the check to (she claims she asked me twice for it), so I respond with an address.

Couple more weeks pass nothing. At that point she starts ignoring my emails. I get her on the phone and she basically admits that she only said that to prove she wasnt using me and now has no intention to pay. Why would she I called her bluff?

Its not really about the money, more the principle. I dont care if she writes a check in the amount to a charity or comes to my place and drops the cash in the fireplace. I just want her to pay her share and live up to her words that she has "no problem paying".

Since I have most of this in writing is this something I can pursue through the court system?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Since I have most of this in writing is this something I can pursue through the court system?
Nope.

Her agreement to pay you back for your expenses is not legally enforceable.

For a contract to be binding, you must show an offer, an acceptance, and consideration. Consideration is often a promise given in exchange for a promise. In this case, you have her promise, but no promise on your part.

In legal terms, past consideration is not valid consideration.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'll try to keep this as short and concise as I can...

I had met a girl a few months ago and at the time she said she had broken up with her boyfriend and coincidentally was getting a 40% cut in her hours at work too. Plus, she was on a restricted license so couldnt really drive anywhere.

We started dating. We spent a good amount of time together (almost everyday). Months later when her 40% cut in work hours was reinstated the time we spent together decreased. Then a few weeks later her "ex-boyfriend" who she had claimed she wasnt with showed up at her house irate that I was there. At which point she tells me she cant talk to me anymore.

Immediately I called her out on being dishonest with me and obviously him and using me to wine and dine her during the period that she had minimal income (literally enough to just pay her rent). Her response was that she would reimburse me for her half of all the expenses I incurred and to send her a bill (I have 2 texts from her saying that).

So that's exactly what I did, I tallied up my receipts and sent her the "bill". She disputed some charges via email, I gave that to her. Then she claimed she would put herself on the monthly payment plan. I denied that one because I'm not a charity or bank. Then a week goes by and I haven't received a check so I email her asking what happen. Her reply was I never gave her an address to mail the check to (she claims she asked me twice for it), so I respond with an address.

Couple more weeks pass nothing. At that point she starts ignoring my emails. I get her on the phone and she basically admits that she only said that to prove she wasnt using me and now has no intention to pay. Why would she I called her bluff?

Its not really about the money, more the principle. I dont care if she writes a check in the amount to a charity or comes to my place and drops the cash in the fireplace. I just want her to pay her share and live up to her words that she has "no problem paying".

Thanks in advance!!
Not in million years. Dating is not a compensable expense, even if she was dishonest.

latigo

As Stevef writes:

There was no present consideration given on your part to bind her to her part.

“Women: The animal species most widely distributed of all beasts of prey.” (Ambrose Bierce 1842-1914)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">