• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering which state has jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Galsal

What is the name of your state? Florida

This has now occurred twice and I want to see about doing something about it. In early 2005 I learned that my former spouse (although at the time were still married but separated, not legally separated) had cashed medical insurance payment claim checks and kept the funds. That cost me almost $800 to pay up the doctor bills. Now I learn he did it again in April 2005 (while we were still married) after my Son was hospitalized. This time to the tune of $380. I just received notification of this in the past week or so. There was another hospitalization that I could find out he did it on again too.

Unfortunately, he was Union (UAW) with General Motors so even when I was covered but separated got treated badly by the insurance. No paperwork of any kind would ever go to me, only to him being the covered employee. The current information I received about this second bill claims that the check was sent to me at his address in Michigan. Odds are the check was made out to him.

This has just gone too dang far. Any suggestions as to what my recourses might be are greatly appreciated!

The checks were obviously from health insurance claims and yet he chose to not only cash but keep the funds that were provided to be paid for medical services rendered. If the checks were in any other name than his or even multiple names (such as his and doctor's), then it's obviously theft and forgery. If the checks were in his name, he gets to just take any and all amount no matter what? Sure seems that cashing the claim checks and pocketing the funds for himself is stealing from some one.

A good question would be if I can file in Florida where the claims were initiated for services rendered instead of where he lives in Michigan. One might wonder if that is the cause of action (Florida) or his retaining the funds is (Michigan).

Thanks!

Sal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">