• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work done prior to recall not reimbursed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

raslee

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

You'll have to excuse my approximation of events since I don't have all the information in front of me, but you'll get the gist of the situation none the less. In about October of 2001, my 1996 Honda Accord's oil light came on. I had just arrived at work where there is a mechanic place on site. I also just had my oil changed a week prior, so I thought that something wasn't screwed in tight enough. The shop was already backed up, but the mechanic glanced at my engine, refilled it with oil, and said I should be OK since it took a whole week to leak out. He did say, though, I needed to have it checked out. So, I called my regular mechanic and he agreed to stay after five so I could drop my car off after work. Eight hours later, I started to the service station in which is 45-50 miles from where I work, but close to where I live. My oil light did not come on again until I exited the interstate. I immediately stopped at the gas station there and filled back up with oil. My oil light came on again when I reached my mechanic.

Well, needless to say, the engine would have to be rebuilt or replaced. My husband and I decided to replace the engine with a used engine. After all the work, it cost us about $2300. Six months later we paid it off and never thought about it again.

Then about June or July of 2002, we received a recall on the engine we had just replaced. Seems other Honda owners had the same problem of their oil all of the sudden leaking out too. We called the 1-800 number provided and they took all of our information. To make a long story short, we provided documentation as to the care of our car. We always had to call and initiate conversation with them and the
last estimate given to me for reimbursement of our trouble was about $280. When I threatened civil action, they called my mechanic to discuss the problems I had with the Honda. In that conversation, they mistakenly ascertained that the problom with my engine was not a the oil seal, but a thrown rod. My mechanic has told me since then that two rods were thrown as a result of the oil seal coming out, not the other way around. He has sent a letter to Honda, but I haven't heard anything from them. They now claim it was not their problem and have offered me nothing. My mechanic is willing to testify to the contrary. Needless to say, I am not happy.

Well, because of slow action on their part, we ended up experiencing the same problem with the replaced engine, while in Atlanta, Georgia. This time we at least knew what the problem was, and was towed to a nearby Honda dealership. The problem was fixed without damage to this engine
and Honda paid for the cost outright, minus towing ($5) and car rental (about $83).

Now I'm interested in suing the American Honda Corporation for at least the cost of damage to my car in the original incident. I took the cheapest route out for my husband and me at the time and I didn't think it was an unreasonable amount to ask for.

I would also like to mention that this was a "secret" recall campaign and found it hard to locate any information from Honda or any recall website. I have been to my local small claims court (Justice court in MS), but I was told since the complaint will be delivered out of state (CA), the defendents are not required to answer my summons. The only way I could guarantee an answer from them is if they try to do business in my state, other than just car dealerships.

So, given the information I have provided, do you think I have a case against Honda? You can check a complaint website
(http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/h/honda_toc.htm), and you'll find other people who are not happy with their settlements either. Also, if you check with the Better Business Bureau
(www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/SouthlandReport/default.htm?hCompID=11279&hAKAID=3&hAddrID=2) you will see that they have a poor business rating with the public. I've also read somewhere that the oil seal problem has been around for most 90 models of Honda and was a design defect rather than a
manufacturer defect as they claimed to me.

If I do have a case and you recommend small claims court, how can I guarantee they'll answer the summons?

Last edited:

R

raslee

Well, actually I place about a $2300 price tag (if not more for the time without a car). It would be one thing if the engine croaked because I didn't take care of it. The fact is, if it hadn't been for the shoddy work done in the first place, my engine would have lasted longer. Granted, because I took care of it was the reason it lasted as long as it did! I bought a Honda because they were supposed to be long lasting cars. My car had about 98,000 miles on it when it failed. A Honda should last at least TWICE that amount.

I guess what it all boils down to is I believe I've been treated unfairly by Honda because 1. I already paid for the work and 2. I didn't get it fixed by Honda. They paid for others to have engines replaced, why not mine?

At this point, I would just like someone to advise me on what can be done to get the money I believe is rightfully mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">