• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

byrdymush

What is the name of your state? CA
I am considering taking my aunt to small claims court to try to get back a victrola that belonged to my dad that she said I could have back. There is a long story behind how my family got it, how I was supposed to get it when my dad died - though he did not have a will, my aunt stole it out of the house before he died, he supposedly gave it to her, and I asked her if i could have it back almost 2 yrs ago.) She is now telling me to "drop it" after leading me on the last year and a half, leading me to believe I could have it back. The victrola meant a lot to my dad, so much that he stopped talking to his sister when she stole it. It holds a lot of sentimental value to me and I'd really like to have it in my home, where it would be loved. It is currently in a shed in my aunt's son's backyard, by witness accounts anyway.
I've emailed her multiple times asking if we could talk. I've called and left her a message on her answering machine. All to no avail. I had hoped to work this out so nobody got hurt anymore than they have and the family would remain intact. She's not willing to do so.
I would like to try mediation, but i don't think she'd be willing to do anything. I don't even know that she'd show up at court if i took it to that level.
I can go on base(military) and see if I can get a "lawyer letter" sent to her to see what that does. Probably nothing. After reading that the winner alot of times does not get their settlement(in this case, the victrola), I'm wondering if it is even worth it.
I just don't know what to do. I'm willing to put up a fight because it meant so much to my dad and means so much to me. I have all the emails I've sent and kept record of my phone calls to her(i will save my phone bill when it comes as well).
Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">