• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth suing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lady Jay

I'm in Alberta, Canada. I know my laws differ somewhat from those of the states but I'd like to ask for some advice on whether to sue my old roomie or not.
What happened was over a year ago he moved in with me for the month of October and 15 days in November. Neither of which he payed me rent for but kept promising he would. I had to pay his share in October because I had no where else to go, as a result my utility bills suffered. We were then forced to leave on the 15th because only I payed rent which is excately half. He calimed the place we lived in had black mold all over which ended him up in the hospital and that because the stove didn't work he didn't have to pay.
when we packed our stuff and left (with the help of my family) he put all his things except for the larger of the stuff in his car including my electronics. Foolishly I thought nothing of it until he took off two weeks later. With My brand New playstation 2 and a few other things.
I've talked to him over internet and phone a few times and he won't return my playstation which he says he took accidently, until i return two things to him that apparently I have somewhere amoungst my packed up belongings. (They are all still packed up and stored since I have no where else to put them) But i can't find these things, I fear If i did have them they've been destroyed by now. (little brother)
I've offered to drop the rent he owes me because I cannot return his things, in turn for my few belongins he took and believe me He'd be getting the better end of the deal. Still he's not budging.
Is it worth suing him? I have no proof he lived with me and it'd be his word against mine that i payed his share of rent and ultilities and that this is still owed to me. What do you think?
Jacey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">