• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this worth taking to small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KSN380

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I run a small corporate transportation company in the NY tri-state area. I normally interview and hire drivers via Craigslist. I was looking for another driver and mentioned to my landlord if he knew of someone looking for supplemental income. He stated that his son, Eric, was unemployed and would love to make some extra money. I interviewed Eric and decided to give him a try. On the 4th job he completed, Eric stated that he was side swiped by a white sedan at Newark airport. However, he failed to get a license plate, nor did he call the authorities nor did he call me. He notified me of the incident when he brought the car back (an hour or so after the incident). After investigating the damages, it seemed odd. It looked more like he side swiped someone or something. He stuck with his story even after I asked a few more times. We both agreed that he was to pay for the damages. He requested if he could have his mechanic friend take a look at it to save money. I said fine. I did say that I couldn't wait too long because of the nature of my business. He promised that he would take care of it as soon as possible. It's been two weeks and I've left several messages on his phone. No callbacks. Despite not wanting to, (have a great relationship with Landlord) I spoke with his father hoping he would help us reach a resolution. To my surprise, his father kinda weasled his way out of the situation. He said he wished he would not have recommended his son, and left it at that.

I don't see the damages being more than say $300. It's more about the principal than it is about the money.

My question: Is it worth it to take this to small claims court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I run a small corporate transportation company in the NY tri-state area. I normally interview and hire drivers via Craigslist. I was looking for another driver and mentioned to my landlord if he knew of someone looking for supplemental income. He stated that his son, Eric, was unemployed and would love to make some extra money. I interviewed Eric and decided to give him a try. On the 4th job he completed, Eric stated that he was side swiped by a white sedan at Newark airport. However, he failed to get a license plate, nor did he call the authorities nor did he call me. He notified me of the incident when he brought the car back (an hour or so after the incident). After investigating the damages, it seemed odd. It looked more like he side swiped someone or something. He stuck with his story even after I asked a few more times. We both agreed that he was to pay for the damages. He requested if he could have his mechanic friend take a look at it to save money. I said fine. I did say that I couldn't wait too long because of the nature of my business. He promised that he would take care of it as soon as possible. It's been two weeks and I've left several messages on his phone. No callbacks. Despite not wanting to, (have a great relationship with Landlord) I spoke with his father hoping he would help us reach a resolution. To my surprise, his father kinda weasled his way out of the situation. He said he wished he would not have recommended his son, and left it at that.

I don't see the damages being more than say $300. It's more about the principal than it is about the money.

My question: Is it worth it to take this to small claims court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The FA crystal ball is out for repairs. Your guess is as good as mine.

Keep in mind that if you do take this to small claims, the best you will get would be a judgment. You still would have to collect the money from him. Being that he is again unemployed (assuming that you fired him after the "accident") that could be challenging at best.

Is your time and effort to sue and collect worth it for the $300 it will cost out of your pocket to fix the van? How you answer will determine your next step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">