• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong name, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crdjeep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Me and me wife got served today to go to Small Claims Court. I wasen't home so I didn't sign for it yet. There were 2 different mailings/envelopes one for each of us.

My wife wasn't even present for the transaction "which was a cash deal w/ no receipt or NOTHING" anyways, should my wife have to go to court? Should she sign for the mail? I know I will sign for my letter.

She's already mad about this, she doesn't want to go to court. The person suing doesn't know my wife's name, obv

amanda2003

I would say that if your wife was served with the paperwork to she shlould go and explain that she was no part of the deal. That way the judge can not put a warrent out for her. Don't know about PA but in FL a judge can put a warrent for not going to any kind of court.

davidmcbeth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Me and me wife got served today to go to Small Claims Court. I wasen't home so I didn't sign for it yet. There were 2 different mailings/envelopes one for each of us.

My wife wasn't even present for the transaction "which was a cash deal w/ no receipt or NOTHING" anyways, should my wife have to go to court? Should she sign for the mail? I know I will sign for my letter.

She's already mad about this, she doesn't want to go to court. The person suing doesn't know my wife's name, obv
No need to rush off to the post office to sign for the stuff...you are not served until you sign for it.

CSO286

No need to rush off to the post office to sign for the stuff...you are not served until you sign for it.
David, this is NOT correct.

A person can be legally served a mulittude of ways, including first class mail. Personal service is not always required.

crdjeep

My wife was served w/ the correct name by myself kinda. I went to small claims court which is magistrate's office, to tell them in person I was showing up and to ask about the wrong name. She said the lady suing me just called 10 min. ago and told her the correct name. I told her to just give it to me. So it's all cleared up now. Man I'm still mad about the whole thing.

davidmcbeth3

My wife was served w/ the correct name by myself kinda. I went to small claims court which is magistrate's office, to tell them in person I was showing up and to ask about the wrong name. She said the lady suing me just called 10 min. ago and told her the correct name. I told her to just give it to me. So it's all cleared up now. Man I'm still mad about the whole thing.
You sure are nice for being so mad. .... good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">