• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandys_soulmate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.

I used to work at a hotel, Motel 6, as a housekeeper. I lived on the property. I since left and went to the labor dept because of under award wages that I was getting paid by the hotel. They awarded me over $3000 in back wages. Now he has sued me for not paying rent while living at the motel and working. The rent was coming out of my wages so I know thats not true. He is just lashing back at the labor dept decision. The court papers were served to my son in law. As he was living at my last address and moved out. I did not get to go to court so there is a judgement against me for $6000 in unpaid rent. Now I was just served papers to appear in court for an assets hearing. What can I do? First of all I do not owe any rent now I have an assets hearing. Can I get a lawyer and counter sue for damages and defamation?

sandys_soulmate

Ok well forget about the last line. Can I just make all this go away or is it too late since this is the assets hearing? I do not owe him any money.

Antigone*

Ok well forget about the last line. Can I just make all this go away or is it too late since this is the assets hearing? I do not owe him any money.
You didn't show up in court. By ignoring the summons you basically gave up the right to defend yourself. Unless you can get the judgement vacated (doubtful) you owe this man $6000.

sandys_soulmate

Even though I did not get served, my son in law did and I dont even live at the place I got served at? Not forgeting the fact that rent was taken out of my wages at the time and this is just a way of getting revenge because I went to the labor dept and got a ruling against him for my wages?

justalayman

Even though I did not get served, my son in law did and I dont even live at the place I got served at? Not forgeting the fact that rent was taken out of my wages at the time and this is just a way of getting revenge because I went to the labor dept and got a ruling against him for my wages?
you need to research what constitutes proper service for the court involved. If there was not proper service, per those rules, you have to file to have the judgment set aside or vacated and let the process start over where you will presumably have a chance to defend yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">