• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongly accused of vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlattkisson

What is the name of your state? KY

I had hired a painter to complete some work in my home. Unfortunately, I did not get it in writing. He finished some of the work, and not all of it. I prepaid him 350.00 for work in my kitchen. He completed half of it, and then said he would return to complete the other half two days later. He never showed up. I called him and he said he would be back over and still did not show up. At that point, he stopped taking my phone calls. At that point, I called him and left him a message that I was taking him to small claims court. I explained I could have the sheriff serve his papers at his home or place of employment. He still did not respond. I called his girlfriend and she told me that his cell phone had been dropped in water and that he would contact me to arrange finishing the work. He still never called. He has no home phone and ignored my messages. he then had his mother start calling me and threatining me with their "family attorney" I told her this was an issue with her son and me, not her and that I still intended on filing a small claims form. the next day, his girlfriends mother called me and claimed that the girlfriend and the painter had spotted me driving in front of their home and that later that night her fathers car was vandalized. Then, today, I received two court mediation notices in the mail from both the painter and his girlfriend demanding I show up for pretrial mediation on the complaint filed of driving by their home. I feel they are trying to scare me out of going to small claims court and issuing him court papers at his new place of employment. What does this mean and can they try to arrest me for false claims of vandalism?

Last edited:

racer72

If all you have done is make threats of a lawsuit and drove by their house, they have a legitimate cause to file harrassment charges against you. I would suggest filing the lawsuit or leave them alone. And do show up for the mediation hearing.

mlattkisson

KY-

I did not drive by their home, nor did I spray paint their family car. I dont understand how they can file a harrasment suit against me if all I have done is inform them I am pursuing small claims court and ask for their address to send the paperwork to. I am unsure if their car really was vandalized or not, but am sure they are conveniently accusing me due to me informing them that i am taking them to small claims court. I am planning on filing the small claims suit this week as I had to wait until the painter started his new job so I can have the sheriff serve him papers. He would not provide me with his home address so I am forced to send it to his place of employment. Can anyone just go down to the courthouse at a whim and file a harassment suit?

mlattkisson said:
KY-

I did not drive by their home, nor did I spray paint their family car. I dont understand how they can file a harrasment suit against me if all I have done is inform them I am pursuing small claims court and ask for their address to send the paperwork to. I am unsure if their car really was vandalized or not, but am sure they are conveniently accusing me due to me informing them that i am taking them to small claims court. I am planning on filing the small claims suit this week as I had to wait until the painter started his new job so I can have the sheriff serve him papers. He would not provide me with his home address so I am forced to send it to his place of employment. Can anyone just go down to the courthouse at a whim and file a harassment suit?
So you didn't know their address??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">