• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Your opinion please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dr265

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Story:
My apartment was robbed, one of my roommates things were taken from his room ($2000.00 worth). His individual room was not locked. There could be a possibility the main door was unlocked. Since my roommate cannot find the thief, he is trying to blame the robbery on his other roommates and make them pay $2000 for the cost of the stolen items. Claiming "negligence" for not locking the door.

Is this a legitimate case?
Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Story:
My apartment was robbed, one of my roommates things were taken from his room ($2000.00 worth). His individual room was not locked. There could be a possibility the main door was unlocked. Since my roommate cannot find the thief, he is trying to blame the robbery on his other roommates and make them pay $2000 for the cost of the stolen items. Claiming "negligence" for not locking the door.

Is this a legitimate case?
Thanks
Was it reported to the police?

quincy

Your roommate was negligent in not locking his own door. I do not see that he has any legitimate claim against the other roommates (unless one of them is shown to be the thief).

At any rate, his renters insurance - which I am sure he and all of the rest of you have because the minimal cost makes it just plain silly not to have such insurance ;) - should cover his loss.

If he does not have renter's insurance and if he is a student, his belongings may be covered under his parents' homeowners insurance policy.

If you just started the school year as roommates, I have a feeling it is going to be a long year for all of you.

dr265

Yes, a police report was filed shortly after the robbery. Other apartments were broken into also around ours. I know he has a right to sue, but my question is, is it a legitimate case? and what your advice would be?
Also he does not have renters insurance, and his homeowners insurance does not cover his losses.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Yes, a police report was filed shortly after the robbery. Other apartments were broken into also around ours. I know he has a right to sue, but my question is, is it a legitimate case? and what your advice would be?
Honestly? Get renters insurance.

Seriously. It can save you a huge mountain of hassle in the long run.

dr265

He is wanting to take us to civil court over this situation though. I'm not sure if this is a situation I should loses sleep over or not.

Last edited:

quincy

If a lot of apartments around you were broken into, then apparently it would not have mattered much whether your main door was locked or not, unless all of the apartments that were robbed happened to have unlocked doors as well.

If your roommate had valuables he wanted protected he should have, one, insured them for loss and, two, locked his own bedroom door.

You can lose sleep if you want to, but I do not think your roommate has any legal action he can take against you or your other roommates that he would have any chance of winning.

His anger should be directed at, and any legal action taken against, the thief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">