• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 years old U.S citzen applying for first social security card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khepra

Hi, I am a 20 year old American citizen who due to my families issues, and my parents religious beliefs, never recieved a social security card or number. I have my original birth certificate but that's pretty much it.

I've never been to a hospital before, and have been home schooled (unofficially) the majority of my life and was wondering what exactly I could do to prove my identity and receive a social security number.
Every social security office has informed me that even though I have proof of citizenship, which is my birth certificate, I lack any proof of ID linking my birth certificate to me that was obtained before I turned 18 years old. So currently I have no proof of Citizenship except for my word and my families word in addition to my birth certificate and was wondering what exactly I could do in the present to help my situation. I would also like to point out that I'm living in Georgia at the moment and was born in New York

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hi, I am a 20 year old American citizen who due to my families issues, and my parents religious beliefs, never recieved a social security card or number. I have my original birth certificate but that's pretty much it.

I've never been to a hospital before, and have been home schooled (unofficially) the majority of my life and was wondering what exactly I could do to prove my identity and receive a social security number.
Every social security office has informed me that even though I have proof of citizenship, which is my birth certificate, I lack any proof of ID linking my birth certificate to me that was obtained before I turned 18 years old. So currently I have no proof of Citizenship except for my word and my families word in addition to my birth certificate and was wondering what exactly I could do in the present to help my situation. I would also like to point out that I'm living in Georgia at the moment and was born in New York
Citizenship

We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.

If you have or can obtain a U.S.-State-Issued birth certificate that recorded your birth before age 5, you must submit it. If not, we can consider other documents, such as your passport, to prove your age.

Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number MUST be interviewed by Social Security. We will ask for evidence to show you do not have a Social Security number. Here are examples of documents you can use to prove a Social Security number was never assigned:

If you lived outside the United States for an extended period, a current or previous passport, school and/or employment records, and any other record that would show long-term residence outside the United States could be used to show you do not have a Social Security number.
If you have lived in the United States and you are applying for an original Social Security number, we may ask you for information about the schools you attended or we may ask you to provide copies of tax records that would show you were never assigned a Social Security number.

Identity

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver’s license;
State-issued nondriver identification card; or
U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

Employee ID card;
School ID card;
Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
U.S. military ID card.
Documents You Need for a Social Security Card

khepra

Thank you for the quick reply but as I stated in my original post the social security office told me that they cannot accept any documentation obtained after I've turned 18 (I'm 20 now). They have told me that they could accept medical records, or school records, However I don't have any of those documents due to my reasons stated earlier.

OHRoadwarrior

Absent any school. medical or tax records of you, prior to age 18, it appears to SS you likely obtained another deceased persons birth certificate and are trying to establish a false identity.

xylene

You need to hire a lawyer to assist you.

For numerous reasons (byzantine bureaucracy and a presumption of bad intent foremost) you can't do this without a professional assisting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">