• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After 66 My SSD Changed to regular SS retirement, Can you tell me if I work ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Palientologist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

I am about to end therapy after Cancer treatment for the last 11 months, . .

I'd like to work, . .

But I am worried about loosing my medical benefits, . . .

Whats the low down on that, . . Please , . . .

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

I am about to end therapy after Cancer treatment for the last 11 months, . .

I'd like to work, . .

But I am worried about loosing my medical benefits, . . .

Whats the low down on that, . . Please , . . .
You need to follow SSA rules for retirement benefits.
How earnings affect your benefits

You can continue to work and still get Social Security retirement benefits. Your earnings in (and after) the month you reach your full retirement age will not affect your Social Security benefits. However, your benefits will be reduced if your earnings exceed certain limits for the months before you reach your full retirement age. (The full retirement age is 66 for people born in 1943-1954 and will gradually increase to 67 for people born in 1960 or later.)

If you are younger than full retirement age, $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $2 in earnings you have above the annual limit ($14,640 in 2012).
In the year you reach your full retirement age, your benefits will be reduced $1 for every $3 you earn over a different limit ($38,880 in 2012) until the month you reach full retirement age. Then you get your full Social Security benefit payments, no matter how much you earn.

If you are younger than full retirement age and some of your benefits are withheld because your earnings are more than $14,640, there is some good news. When you reach full retirement age, your benefits will be increased to take into account those months in which you received no benefit or reduced benefits.

Also, any wages you earn after signing up for Social Security may increase your overall average earnings, and your benefit probably will increase.

For more information, ask for How Work Affects Your Benefits (Publication No. 05-10069).
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10077.html#a0=4&working=

Most people age 65 or older who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance (Part A). You are eligible at age 65 if:

You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits; or
You receive or are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits; or
Your spouse is eligible; or
You or your spouse (living or deceased, including divorced spouses) worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid; or
You are the dependent parent of a fully insured deceased child.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10043.html#a0=2

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">