+ Reply to Thread
    exactprecisions is offline Junior Member

Am I allowed to make so much a month while on disability or not

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I was told and I have heard while going to my appointments that people are able to make so much money while on disability is that true? I have tried asking social security a few times and other people in medicare offices. I don't make much and I am trying to live on my own. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactprecisions View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I was told and I have heard while going to my appointments that people are able to make so much money while on disability is that true? I have tried asking social security a few times and other people in medicare offices. I don't make much and I am trying to live on my own. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    You do not say which type of disability benefits you are receiving .

SSA.GOV is where you'll find some info.

There is a Ticket to work program .

There is a max. amount under SSDI is $980.00 this yr. ,next I believe will be $1000.00 without going over gainful employment standards.

Best to go to the local office in person and speak to a Rep. eye to eye about what you can expect with everything else with earnings .
    exactprecisions is offline Junior Member
    I am recieving Social Security Benefits and Survivors Benefits under my father... I am not recieving SSI. I believe it's called SSD.
    Onderzoek is offline Member
    This is your current question:
    Am I allowed to make so much a month while on disability or not

And the answer is yes. SSA does not stop anyone from working and making any amount of money. Go to work tomorrow. SSA will not stop you.

But you are not asking the right question. What you really want to know is what will happen to your benefits if you return to work. The answer then is, it depends.

If you are receiving SSI, Supplemental Security Income, the earned income exclusion is $65 and $1 for every $2 over. So, gross wages of $265 would reduce SSI by $100. And income from December would reduce SSI in February, even if you have stopped working.

If it is SSDI, the SGA amount is $980 for 2009 but a lower amount (??$600??) would use a trial work month. And you only get 9 of those per entitlement period.

There are also the issues of employer subsidies, unsuccessful work attempts, impairment related work expenses, working under Ticket to Work policies. Way too much to list here. Way too much to explain in a phone call to SSA.

Go to socialsecurity.gov and read about work incentives. Try to get a publication called the Red Book. There is not a simple answer to the question you should have asked. Once you have a specific question like what happens when I start a job at XYZ company and earn $XXX per hour and am expected to work XXX hours per week and will be paid on XXX day? Then you can get specific answers to your question.
    Last edited by Onderzoek; 11-28-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarity