• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice is welcome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiredoftrying

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
In August of 2011, the Administrative Law Judge awarded me 4472 for past due disability benefits. At the time, my attorney said I would get 4472. In October, I received a letter saying I would get 4472 less attorneys fees of 1118. Since my attorney had said I was getting all my money, like an idiot, I contested the amount. I have since spoken to my attorneys and realized that they are due 25%. So I wrote a letter to the same address I had sent my contest letter too and said I was mistaken, please pay my attorney. I have been calling social security at the national number for 7 weeks now, and all I am told is your local office hasn't released it yet. My disability attorney has called the payment center and is told the local office hasn't released it. I have tried to call my local office, at 5pm and 9am I get a fax signal, any other time I get a busy signal. I have written to the local office and asked what to do, with no response. The two suggestions I have gotten are write your congressman, or sue social security. I wrote my congressman, and suing them is absurd. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? Should I call the Administrative Law Judges office? Please HELP!!!

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
In August of 2011, the Administrative Law Judge awarded me 4472 for past due disability benefits. At the time, my attorney said I would get 4472. In October, I received a letter saying I would get 4472 less attorneys fees of 1118. Since my attorney had said I was getting all my money, like an idiot, I contested the amount. I have since spoken to my attorneys and realized that they are due 25%. So I wrote a letter to the same address I had sent my contest letter too and said I was mistaken, please pay my attorney. I have been calling social security at the national number for 7 weeks now, and all I am told is your local office hasn't released it yet. My disability attorney has called the payment center and is told the local office hasn't released it. I have tried to call my local office, at 5pm and 9am I get a fax signal, any other time I get a busy signal. I have written to the local office and asked what to do, with no response. The two suggestions I have gotten are write your congressman, or sue social security. I wrote my congressman, and suing them is absurd. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? Should I call the Administrative Law Judges office? Please HELP!!!
If you haven't received retroactive payment yet , then it's all still in the process .

If by chance you receive the full amount , do not spend the attorney's fee amount . Make arrangements to pay and get a receipt ,in person would be preferred . Then if for some reason SSA pays the attorney again and wants to take it from you ,you will have the receipt that the attorney was already paid .

If you receive the amount less the attorney fees and the attorney has not been paid ,that's between the attorney and SSA , not you .

applecruncher

Instead of calling your local office repeatedly (which has gotten you nowhere) have you tried going in person to attempt to get an answer and resolve this?

Onderzoek

There could be a variety of hold codes put on the record. I also suggest going to your local office to see if they can figure out what is holding up the release and possibly making a manager to manager phone call to the payment center.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">