• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appealing widow's benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questionforlaw

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am a 65 year old widow. My husband just died, and social security downgraded our total benefits to 66% of what we received as a couple. No outside benefits are being received. I know I have a right to appeal within 60 days. I have questions concerning what happens to my benefits while I am appealing, and I am not sure about how to appeal in the best way.

I was on the social security web site and I noticed a chart. As a 65 year old widow, the chart that says that I am entitled to 100% of my husband's benefit. My given survivor benefit entitles me to only 67% of my husband's benefit (give or take his medicare amount). Why is there a condradiction between what the chart says on the social security web site and what has been decided for me? Here is the link, I should recieve 100% of his benefit according to this chart.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan/1940s.html

Quote from the ss website---

" * A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, receives 100 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amount"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">