• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeals Council Ordering Cases Combined

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adp206

What is the name of your state? California

Here are the facts of my case:

A case I filed for SSI benefits in 2004 went before an Administrative Law Judge who in turn denied the claim in October 2006. My lawyer appealed to the Appeals Council. In the meantime I filed a new and different claim on December 29, 2006.

In March 2007 the Appeals Council voided the judge's denial and remanded the case back to her for reconsideration. They also ordered the judge to associate the files on these cases and to consider the filing on December 29, 2006 a duplicate and render one decision on both claims. My lawyer says these files get combined at the hearing which at this time is pending.

In the meantime the Social Security Administration approved the second claim (December 29, 2006) and I am scheduled to start receiving benefits on August 1, 2007.

My lawyer asked the judge to forgo the pending hearing and let the approval of the second claim stand alone in order that I might receive the scheduled benefits.

We are aware the judge has the authority to deny both claims.

My question is - Does the judge have the discretion to forgo a hearing and simply allow or stipulate that I get benefits that I am scheduled to receive on the second claim.

BL

What is the name of your state? California

Here are the facts of my case:

A case I filed for SSI benefits in 2004 went before an Administrative Law Judge who in turn denied the claim in October 2006. My lawyer appealed to the Appeals Council. In the meantime I filed a new and different claim on December 29, 2006.

In March 2007 the Appeals Council voided the judge's denial and remanded the case back to her for reconsideration. They also ordered the judge to associate the files on these cases and to consider the filing on December 29, 2006 a duplicate and render one decision on both claims. My lawyer says these files get combined at the hearing which at this time is pending.

In the meantime the Social Security Administration approved the second claim (December 29, 2006) and I am scheduled to start receiving benefits on August 1, 2007.

My lawyer asked the judge to forgo the pending hearing and let the approval of the second claim stand alone in order that I might receive the scheduled benefits.

We are aware the judge has the authority to deny both claims.

My question is - Does the judge have the discretion to forgo a hearing and simply allow or stipulate that I get benefits that I am scheduled to receive on the second claim.
Why would your Lawyer do that , if both were to be combined ?

It looks like you could possibly be approved from the first application and receive retroactive ( back pay ) , unless of course you're not interested in that .

Of course the date of disability would have to be established .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">