• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for disability for the first time - Newbie help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quirkphinder

I'm 24, living in Anchorage, Alaska and back in February my brain decided it didn't like me and I had some sort of seizure or stroke. The doctors aren't sure what happened to me, we got a CAT scan and MRI done showing I have 4 small holes in my brain. I basically went walking to work one night (in Fairbanks, a town just a few miles away from North Pole), had a brain fit and was found walking in sub zero temperatures without footwear by a police officer and got a wicked case of frostbite because of it. The thing is I blacked out and don't remember even leaving my apartment when this all happened. As far as I remember, I just walked to my front door to go to work then instantly woke up with frostbite and neural problems and my roommates telling me they picked me up from the ER and the events that happened.

Now I have problems doing the most basic of functions. My vision is screwed up (I see double a lot and have a hard time looking down) I have problems keeping my balance walking, and because of my frostbite healing the heels on my feet are numb so I can't tell alot of the time if I'm even on the ground or not making my balance issues worse.

Now that I've been getting used to these changes for the last few months living with my parents again in Anchorage. I don't like living with them and they want me out as soon as I'm able. I'm no longer able to hold a job, but I need some source of income to try and get my life back on track, so I'm looking into Disability for the first time but I need a bit of help because I'm paranoid beyond belief I will somehow screw this up

I'm filling out this application for my state (Alaska)
http://hss.state.ak.us/dpa/features...tion-gen50b.htm

I have no problem with the form I have to send in, but I also have to fill in a lot of stuff about household total incomes for my eventual Public Service Interview. I'm only here with my parents temporarily until I'm able to move in somewhere else in town with a roommate or two, but I'm wondering if my parents income and status will work against me when I'm trying to get Disability income? My step dad makes just under 100k a year as a work at home accountant and my mom does alright as a teacher. Should I put down their information on my form, or should I find someone to legally (on paper anyways) "move in" with so I have a better chance at getting something I could sustain myself with? What all should I bring with me to my meeting along with my medical papers that would help prove how incapable I am?

I don't want to be one of those people that ride the system for all it's worth, but until I heal a bit more and am able to at least work part time I need some sort of Public Assistance so I can get on my feet again, and I'm nervous about going this route.

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. There is some good news, they are very nice at social security office in Anchorage. At this point I would be 100% honest with them. It will be easier to remember what you told them, and living situations are always changing. After you get social security tell them if any changes have occured. You want to apply as soon as possible, that way you can get possible retro active payments after they are work out your case.
Hopefully you won't need to get a lawyer and can find someone to help you fill out the forms. It would be my guess that someone down at ssi will be able to help you. Or find someone that can help, just tell them about the vision problems and they will help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">