• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for SSDI online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missingmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband is currently working on an online SSDI application and on one of the pages it asked for total of all wages and tips earned in 2012, will be earned in 2013, & will be earned in 2014 and says estimate if necessary. What amount do they want? 2012 W2 has box1-Wages, tips, and other compensation, box 3-Social Security wages, & box 5-Medicare wages and tips. All are different amounts and his last paycheck stub for 2012 shows the highest number. He isn't sure which number the SSDI application is asking for? Does anyone know?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My husband is currently working on an online SSDI application and on one of the pages it asked for total of all wages and tips earned in 2012, will be earned in 2013, & will be earned in 2014 and says estimate if necessary. What amount do they want? 2012 W2 has box1-Wages, tips, and other compensation, box 3-Social Security wages, & box 5-Medicare wages and tips. All are different amounts and his last paycheck stub for 2012 shows the highest number. He isn't sure which number the SSDI application is asking for? Does anyone know?
I'm willing to bet the nice folks who work the 1-800# for the SSA know. :cool:

missingmom

I'm willing to bet the nice folks who work the 1-800# for the SSA know. :cool:
They probably would know if he could get through to them on the phone. He tried phoning them last week. I guess he will have to try again, and again, and again. I was just hoping someone here could answer that question. He has so many Doctor's appointments, it's hard to find time to wait for someone to answer for 1&1/2-2hours.

commentator

He does not have to get dressed and go into an office to hold the phone. He will be getting the information from someone who has a potential for knowing the correct answer. And you'd rather try to get info from someone who's willing to guess on an internet forum without seeing the form or having familiarity with it.?

LdiJ

They are looking for the amount in box 1 of the W2.

Peeps...why is it necessary to be snarky? Of course they could have stayed on hold with the SSA for a long period of time to get the same answer, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a valid question and the purpose of this forum is to answer valid questions.

commentator

Sorry if I came across snarky...I certainly do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. But I've just got a slight problem with the thought process of people who sit in their houses and regard all government systems with such total mistrust, regardless of how user friendly they are designed to be (having been on the designing side of this) that they won't use the provided systems to obtain their help. Frankly, "He tried once last week" (But he's so busy going to his doctor's appointments) doesn't sound like this person is having too much trouble getting through.

And with people who think they are supposed to guess the correct answers and query lay people all over the map, go with and accept the opinion of seven or ten of these consultations, and then are mad at "the government" when they are declined or told they didn't do it correctly. I believe you're probably very right about which box the info they're looking for is to come from, but if they're struggling with this question I suspect this OP will have a lot more questions before they get to the end of this application. I've seen them, and filled them out, and they're quite interesting, could produce a lot of questions.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Peeps...why is it necessary to be snarky? Of course they could have stayed on hold with the SSA for a long period of time to get the same answer, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a valid question and the purpose of this forum is to answer valid questions.
I wasn't snarky.

But whatever. :cool:

missingmom

LdjI
Thank you! He called again earlier this morning and was given the option of a call back from them with a 45 minute wait. Box 1 of the W2 would have been correct but it was minus pre-tax deductions (medical insurance deductions, 401K contributions, etc.) so we used the total gross earnings on his last paycheck stub for the year. That is what she said to put down. Thanks again.

missingmom

commentator

I see that you misquoted me. I never said "He tried once last week". I asked a simple question and you seem to think I "regard all government systems with such total mistrust"? I rarely post a question on an internet forum & I have just been reminded of why that is. My husband did not struggle with the online application-it was not that difficult. It was just that one question-seemed to have 4 possible answers-box 1, box 2, box 3, or total gross earnings on his paycheck stub.

swalsh411

I am not an expert on SSDI but I would think it would not be to your advantage to report higher earnings than you need to report.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

... Of course they could have stayed on hold with the SSA for a long period of time to get the same answer, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a valid question and the purpose of this forum is to answer valid questions.
And... your answer was wrong. THAT is why they need(ed) to contact the agency directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">