• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Approved for Disability, repay TAFDC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bosoxrox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I was approved for disability benefits with a retroactive payment.

I have been receiving TAFDC (Public assistance) for just under 1 year while I waited for the decision.

Will I have to repay TAFDC for the assistance I received for the last year while my disability claim was pending? I read something about repayment if someone received SSI as opposed to SSDI, then read someone insisting the had to repay from SSDI. Can someone provide me the correct information on this?

Thanks so much.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I was approved for disability benefits with a retroactive payment.

I have been receiving TAFDC (Public assistance) for just under 1 year while I waited for the decision.

Will I have to repay TAFDC for the assistance I received for the last year while my disability claim was pending? I read something about repayment if someone received SSI as opposed to SSDI, then read someone insisting the had to repay from SSDI. Can someone provide me the correct information on this?

Thanks so much.
Social Security Disability - What is an Interim Assistance Agreement?

Bosoxrox

Thank you for providing the link, it was very informative and I wish I had researched and found this information when I started the process.

I am still a bit confused, (please correct me if i missed something, and I do not want to assume anything), I see no mention of Transitional Assistance ( TAFDC, Welfare; whatever each state refers to it as), this appears to be a separate program related to the pending decision?

Should I assume that the guidelines in this section mean than any assistance received must be repayed?

It appears they would approve an application for this interim program if it appeared likely they would be approved for Disability (I had already been denied as follows: )

(I applied for SSDI, was denied, denied on appeal, then received a favorable bench decision)

I appreciate any clarification.

Last edited:

BL

Thank you for providing the link, it was very informative and I wish I had researched and found this information when I started the process.

I am still a bit confused, (please correct me if i missed something, and I do not want to assume anything), I see no mention of Transitional Assistance ( TAFDC, Welfare; whatever each state refers to it as), this appears to be a separate program related to the pending decision?

Should I assume that the guidelines in this section mean than any assistance received must be repayed?

It appears they would approve an application for this interim program if it appeared likely they would be approved for Disability (I had already been denied as follows:)

(I applied for SSDI, was denied, denied on appeal, then received a favorable bench decision)

I appreciate any clarification.
The repayment will come out of retroactive amount(s) .

It would be for the cash assistance amount only .

These systems have cross checks with you SS# .

As you refer to Transitional Assistance ( TAFDC, Welfare; whatever each state refers to it as, you should have notified the agency of your application for SS benifits .

Often times PA has special assistance program for those that apply for SS disability and as said meet the requirements , pending their approval.

Last edited:

Bosoxrox

The repayment will come out of retroactive amount(s) .

you should have notified the agency of your application for SS benifits .
Just wanted to clarify. I absolutely notified the intake representative the I had applied for SSDI and I was awaiting a decision.

As I began to fill out the part of the questionnaire that asked "Are you or any members of your household disabled?" I I told the intake counselor and she said "No, just put no, or you will have to go to doctors (I can not remember the exact wording)"

I Said "So, you want me to answer 'no' to this question, even though I have applied for disability, I don't want to misrepresent myself?"

She answered "Yes, just put 'no' it won't matter."

She seemed anxious to complete the paperwork and to move on. Why did I not challenge that. I hate these moments. (Yes, I know the "well, you should have" and "It is your responsibility" comments, but sometimes your are in such an overwhelming circumstance, you rely on the advice of the professional who has control of your case) I will certainly be paying for that.

Anyway, she never uttered a word about repayment if I was approved for SSDI. It would have been nice to make the conscious decision to either accept the cash cash benefit with knowledge of repayment, or I might have opted to continue collecting the lesser amount of sporadic child support with no repayment.

Hmm, brings to light a whole new question. If the ex is in the system and is being garnished for cs payments, the state gets to keep that and repayment for public assistance (not the difference between the 2?) That is really just a curiosity.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, I feel better prepared about what to expect.

BL

Just wanted to clarify. I absolutely notified the intake representative the I had applied for SSDI and I was awaiting a decision.

As I began to fill out the part of the questionnaire that asked "Are you or any members of your household disabled?" I I told the intake counselor and she said "No, just put no, or you will have to go to doctors (I can not remember the exact wording)"

I Said "So, you want me to answer 'no' to this question, even though I have applied for disability, I don't want to misrepresent myself?"

She answered "Yes, just put 'no' it won't matter."

She seemed anxious to complete the paperwork and to move on. Why did I not challenge that. I hate these moments. (Yes, I know the "well, you should have" and "It is your responsibility" comments, but sometimes your are in such an overwhelming circumstance, you rely on the advice of the professional who has control of your case) I will certainly be paying for that.

Anyway, she never uttered a word about repayment if I was approved for SSDI. It would have been nice to make the conscious decision to either accept the cash cash benefit with knowledge of repayment, or I might have opted to continue collecting the lesser amount of sporadic child support with no repayment.

Hmm, brings to light a whole new question. If the ex is in the system and is being garnished for cs payments, the state gets to keep that and repayment for public assistance (not the difference between the 2?) That is really just a curiosity.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, I feel better prepared about what to expect.
You were not determined disabled at the time of application , only after the determination was made by SSA.

I do not know how the difference in DI and CS will work out , but once approved and you start collecting benefits , I imagine you will no longer need State cash assistance and CS will be directed to you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">