• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asperger's and SSI/Disabilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son has been under the care of Mental health professionals for about 5 years (he's 9) and has been hospitalized twice. He had a couple of partial diagnoses for Bi-polar and mood disorders, etc. and now has finally been done so correctly. His official diagnosis?s are Asperger's, Oppositional Deviate Disorder, ADD, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive traits.

Here's my question, can we receive SSI/Disability for him. I am not so much concerned with getting him a check as knowing he will have Medicaid no matter what our income is. He is currently on Medicaid but we are within about $30 of not qualifying which would actually cost us about $800 a month based on the increase in premiums (just for him), copays for Drs, therapists and medication based on current copay amounts with our (the parent's) coverage.

I called a couple of SSI attorney's here in Louisville and they will not even talk with me once they find out it is for a 9 year old. I was blatantly told that there isn't enough money involved with a child's case to bother with. But not only would they not help, they wouldn't even help answer ANY of the questions I raised here.

Anyone with help is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son has been under the care of Mental health professionals for about 5 years (he's 9) and has been hospitalized twice. He had a couple of partial diagnoses for Bi-polar and mood disorders, etc. and now has finally been done so correctly. His official diagnosis?s are Asperger's, Oppositional Deviate Disorder, ADD, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive traits.

Here's my question, can we receive SSI/Disability for him. I am not so much concerned with getting him a check as knowing he will have Medicaid no matter what our income is. He is currently on Medicaid but we are within about $30 of not qualifying which would actually cost us about $800 a month based on the increase in premiums (just for him), copays for Drs, therapists and medication based on current copay amounts with our (the parent's) coverage.

I called a couple of SSI attorney's here in Louisville and they will not even talk with me once they find out it is for a 9 year old. I was blatantly told that there isn't enough money involved with a child's case to bother with. But not only would they not help, they wouldn't even help answer ANY of the questions I raised here.

Anyone with help is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?
I have heard of those being entitled to apply, not sure I've heard of it going through though. All you have to do is fill out the information at the SS office. If the system works the same for children then he'd be denied first time until an appeal is made. I do believe that your income does come into play for this too and they base it on that but I have no idea the guidelines. You could try www.ssa.gov Also know that the extent of his issues will come into play also more than likely. My youngest son was diagnosed with all of those things in 1996 at the age of 3. He did medication for 3 years to no avail. Strict structure is what helped him. At 13 he's not on medication, he's a handful but he's not out of control and if I do mention it to teachers or others they are very surprised to hear it.

BL

What were the hospitalizations for ?

Is he acting out hurting himself or others , or threatening to ?

How long were the hospitalizations ?

Depending on the severity and frequency , He may or may not Qualify .

The first time My gf Applied for Her son , He was denied , later in years He really started going off the wall , threatening even more suicides , homicides , etc . Was hospitalized more frequently , Etc , and was approved .

With regard to Medicaid eligibility , they will take the household income into account , because the child's a minor and lives with the Parent(s)., so if He were to qualify , you may lose medical assistance all together .

I've seen where even one dollar over the income eligibility limit , disqualified a person from receiving benefits .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">