• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back pay for my kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laney A.

I've been receiving disability benefits since 1997. I didn't know my kids could receive benefits too. I just found out the other day that they do qualify. What is this even called? My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 10. Should they receive back pay? And if so, how much? Thanks! I'm confused and just want to know what I should expect.

Onderzoek

I've been receiving disability benefits since 1997. I didn't know my kids could receive benefits too. I just found out the other day that they do qualify. What is this even called? My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 10. Should they receive back pay? And if so, how much? Thanks! I'm confused and just want to know what I should expect.
Do you receive SSI or SSDI? If it is SSI, there are no benefits for your children. If it is SSDI, the question about your children would have been asked on your initial application in 1997. You would have said yes since the 17 year old would have been alive then. And a claim should have been taken at that time. Or a notice stating that you had six months to apply to have that filing date used. So it is doubtful that there would be any retroactive benefits (back pay).

Also, sometimes even when a claim is taken, there is not always enough in the disability family maximum computation for any benefits to be paid to children.

SSA can give you specific information that applies to your specific case. File a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">