• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back pays and adult child benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobbyk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj

I have 2 questions. I'm asking here because I was working with a free legal service for my claim since I was on welfare who takes most of my backpays so I couldn't find a fee lawyer to take my case. But the free legal service has been hard to get ahold and turns out they don't need to do much as far as my SSI since it got approved.

My disabilities are anxiety, depression and learning and intellectual disabilities.

First question is this was my second time applying for SSI. The first was 3 years ago based on lack of medical evidence. I didn't have insurance for a doctor and medications at the time and was told to reapply when I had that. New health care laws and I now have a doctor and on meds. Social Security also sent me to their own examination this time and I was approved.

My backpays only went to this time I applied (8 months). The free legal service says it goes from initial application. Wouldn't that be the first application from 3 years ago? From what I read online that case would of had to been reopened when I reapplied but I thought the lawyer was taking care of that.

My second question is my father passed away 3 years ago. He wasn't married and I am his only child. I think I can collect survivors benefits under him. Social Security says it would have to be on their record I was disabled before 22. Would this have been something I had to say when applying? As I mentioned I didn't have money for insurance or doctors for a long while. My medical records from before 18 have been destroyed. I do believe the free lawyer tried to get school records but couldn't and said they will try again. I believe my disabilities are of nature they would of been always been there. Like IQ doesn't change.

I've had testing from the department of labor rehabilitation and failed meaning I have the learning and intellectual disabilities. That was almost 5 years ago and have already been destroyed. I am having another test rescheduled soon. If the results are the same would this show I have disablities that were before 22 and lifelong? Since it's the department of labor telling me it is a danger to myself or others if I worked.

When my dad filed taxes he also listed me as a dependent but I lost those records but maybe copies could be gotten if it would help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">