• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backpay and Resources Q...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiraRamsay

(Washington)

I have been receiving SSI payments for about two years (I am disabled). My backpay was around 12K, and the nine month mark is this February, when I am supposed to have spent all of the backpay or else it will count as my resources.

However, I simply have not been able to spend it all. I live a very minimalist lifestyle and I'm not the kind of person to go out and spend a bunch of money just to spend it. I have about 6K left in my bank account.

If I don't get rid of 4K, I will be over the 2K resource limit in February.

What should I do? What do others do in this situation? If I don't spend it and my benefits stop, can they resume once I do eventually spend it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why don't you just spend it? Go on a trip or get new furniture or clothes or stock your freezer with a bunch of food.

LdiJ

Why don't you just spend it? Go on a trip or get new furniture or clothes or stock your freezer with a bunch of food.
If I were in your position and really needed to spend the money, I would not just stock up on food, but I would stock up on a ton of toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, toiletries, and anything thing else I regularly needed...even if I ended up with a year's supply of everything. I would also look into prepaying things like insurance or other bills that can be prepaid. I would even consider doing Christmas shopping now, for next Christmas. Birthday shopping for everyone ahead of time as well.

I would also take care of anything "looming" with my car that I know will be needed within the next 6 months.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If I were in your position and really needed to spend the money, I would not just stock up on food, but I would stock up on a ton of toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, toiletries, and anything thing else I regularly needed...even if I ended up with a year's supply of everything. I would also look into prepaying things like insurance or other bills that can be prepaid. I would even consider doing Christmas shopping now, for next Christmas. Birthday shopping for everyone ahead of time as well.

I would also take care of anything "looming" with my car that I know will be needed within the next 6 months.
To me, that is a rational use of the money. It is stuff OP is going to need and allows OP to provide into the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">