• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and Disability Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TwoTulips

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am in the middle of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which could be finished sometime between this comming summer and a couple more years.

I have a chronic illness and need to apply for Social Security Disability. I want to use a disability advocate/attorney to represent my case. If I win my case, the advocate/attorney is entitled to a certain percentage of my retroactive disability payments.

Is the back pay (retroactive payment) safe from the bankrkuptcy Trustee? I have heard conflicting stories saying it is safe as long as you keep the payment and don't give it to anyone, such as repaying a family member for helping you while you are sick. Paying a Disability Advocate/Attorney with a portion of the backpay is the ONLY LEGAL way that SSDI allows SS attorneys to be paid. So, how would this situation be handled?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">