• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy & Disability money questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alurasun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My husband and I are in the middle of filing chapter 7 bankruptcy and he was just approved for Disability benefits as of November. We are filing without a lawyer and our creditors meeting is in 3 days. We have about $130,000 in debt and have had no income to pay it. Up until now our only income has been my $1100 each month. Starting this month he will get $870 per month in disability and today he just received retro pay from disability for $15,660. We desperately need this money for personal and household necessities that we have been putting off for years. We also just had a baby last month.

We would like to continue with the bankruptcy if possible.

Is this money some how safe from the bankruptcy? Do we need to resubmit the bankruptcy paper work now?

We live in Wisconsin and don't have access to any free lawyers.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">