• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being on SSDI and VISTA participation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Just based upon your title, I'll take a random stab at this.

I'm assuming that by "VISTA" participation, you are referring to being a VISTA/AmeriCorps volunteer? Having been one in the past, I know that they don't pay you a salary per se, but they do pay you a stipend.

The rules for SSDI are clear. ANY income you earn that can be used towards food and housing is considered income for the purpose of considering your SSDI eligibility. That means whatever stipend you earn is considered income, and counts towards your income limits. If the VISTA stipend puts you over the eligibility limit, then you may end up losing your benefits.

Of course, you are welcome to supplement with more information to help us answer your question.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Just based upon your title, I'll take a random stab at this.

I'm assuming that by "VISTA" participation, you are referring to being a VISTA/AmeriCorps volunteer? Having been one in the past, I know that they don't pay you a salary per se, but they do pay you a stipend.

The rules for SSDI are clear. ANY income you earn that can be used towards food and housing is considered income for the purpose of considering your SSDI eligibility. That means whatever stipend you earn is considered income, and counts towards your income limits. If the VISTA stipend puts you over the eligibility limit, then you may end up losing your benefits.

Of course, you are welcome to supplement with more information to help us answer your question.
SSDI is NOT needs-based.

SSI IS needs-based.

Onderzoek

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500830610

Americorps payments to volunteers (stipends) are excluded from income even for SSI.

sandyclaus

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500830610

Americorps payments to volunteers (stipends) are excluded from income even for SSI.
Yes, with this exception:
Payments are not excluded if the CNCS determines that their value, adjusted to reflect the hours served, is equivalent to or greater than the minimum wage in effect under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 or the minimum wage under the applicable State law, whichever is greater. The current Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">