• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Born with disability, filed SSI case but paid on date filed only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torid1200

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My son was born premature at 1 lb and 12 oz, Jan 12, 09 and with a hearing disorder but I was not aware that he could get a SSI payment till after he was 1 1/2 when the hearing disorder was discovered. I was not even told that he needed immediate follow-up with a hearing doctor, due to he failed the initial hearing test before being discharged on April 17, 09. That was until a government agency from the state talked with my son's father during a WIC appointment, stating that I was being neglectful due to he had not been to a doctor for a check-up on his hearing but he went to all his pediatrician appointments and this was never discussed at the time all of his care was at the same hospital. Where he was going to a eye doctor for his sight, constantly and there was nothing found wrong. I was told that SSI could have been received while he was in the hospital and even after he released from the hospital which he was in the hospital for three months and was on a breathing machine and sleep apnea machine when he came home, but he had a in home nurse thru my insurance for 3 months. I know when I filed the SSI paperwork I was already in deep debt when I filed, they found that he was found disabled the day he was born but I was wondering why there was never any back payments for the almost two years prior to the date I filed. Is there anything I can do about it now?

Ladyback1

My son was born premature at 1 lb and 12 oz, Jan 12, 09 and with a hearing disorder but I was not aware that he could get a SSI payment till after he was 1 1/2 when the hearing disorder was discovered. I was not even told that he needed immediate follow-up with a hearing doctor, due to he failed the initial hearing test before being discharged on April 17, 09. That was until a government agency from the state talked with my son's father during a WIC appointment, stating that I was being neglectful due to he had not been to a doctor for a check-up on his hearing but he went to all his pediatrician appointments and this was never discussed at the time all of his care was at the same hospital. Where he was going to a eye doctor for his sight, constantly and there was nothing found wrong. I was told that SSI could have been received while he was in the hospital and even after he released from the hospital which he was in the hospital for three months and was on a breathing machine and sleep apnea machine when he came home, but he had a in home nurse thru my insurance for 3 months. I know when I filed the SSI paperwork I was already in deep debt when I filed, they found that he was found disabled the day he was born but I was wondering why there was never any back payments for the almost two years prior to the date I filed. Is there anything I can do about it now?

simply put SSI is based on income guidelines as well as disability status. SSI does not "go back" to when the disability was first diagnosed or known, it goes strictly off of the application date.

Onderzoek

Short answer is no.

SSI is not paid for any month before filing. For any reason. You have to establish an intent to file and then actually file and it all has to be done at the Social Security office. That determines the application date which, combined with the date of onset, determines the payment date. Some applicants are not found eligible until months or years after they first apply. Sorry I don't have the answer you want.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500601010
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500601015

Do remember that SSI is needs based and you need to be reporting any income or living arrangement changes the month after they happen; that especially includes changes in parental income. It is easy for a disabled child to get overpaid when the parental income is not reported timely. You will be reporting your income until the child reaches age 18 and there will be periodic medical and non-medical reviews as well as representative payee accountings. And your local office is pretty insistent that you take care of ongoing paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">