• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Born in the United States but cannot get a Social Secuirty Number.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LittleBlue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California and/or Nevada.

I was born in Azusa, California in Dec, 1989. I was born at home and was not given a Birth Certificate or a Social Security number. I went to school with no issues until I reached high school. For whatever reason my parents never tried to apply for my Birth Certificate or my Social Security number. I was on honor roll almost every year, never had any run ins with the law or nothing, it never struck me that these two official documents were important until I was kicked out of high school for not have a Social Security Number. My parents never had much money to pay for a lawyer and when I turned 18 it more or less turned into my issue.

I was able to gather up original documents, such as school records and after 4 different tries was able to get a delayed Birth Certificate. I then applied tried again to apply for a S.S.N. but was denied and the lady on the phone from the Social Security Office told me that I should apply for a Passport. So I saved and saved and applied for one, they took my Birth Certificate as well as 150 dollars and then 3 weeks later, gave me a rejection letter and did not return my Birth Certificate or my money. I wrote them letters asking to receive my B.C. back but they refused stating no reason why. So finally I was able to get another copy of my B.C.

I was able to use my B.C. to apply for an I.D. where I now live, Las Vegas, Nevada. I had to sign a paper stating I did not have an S.S.N. and was able to get an I.D. and am now getting ready to take my Driving Test.

I used my I.D. and my Birth Certificate to again apply for an S.S.N. in Barstow, California (Since I lived in California I thought I had to apply in California.) I filled everything out and was told by the man behind the counter that I should have no issues getting one, he has seen people get one with less. I was excited that I was finally able to get one.

I then get a letter in the mail saying I needed to request for an S.S.N. number in Nevada since that is where I now lived. So I went into the Social Security Office and was then told I needed an official, unopened, piece of paper for every year that I was born from 1989-2012.

I had explained that I used all Original Documents that I was able to find and use them for my Birth Certificate. She said then there was nothing she nor I could do.

I am now lost, I have no job, income but most importantly, I cannot finish school and go to college. I am of no Hispanic decent. My father was in the United States Marine Corps and fought overseas. My mother was adopted in California and they both own Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers. I do not understand what else I have left. I cannot afford a lawyer because I cannot legally get a job.

Any help or advice would be great as I am stuck.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California and/or Nevada.

I was born in Azusa, California in Dec, 1989. I was born at home and was not given a Birth Certificate or a Social Security number. I went to school with no issues until I reached high school. For whatever reason my parents never tried to apply for my Birth Certificate or my Social Security number. I was on honor roll almost every year, never had any run ins with the law or nothing, it never struck me that these two official documents were important until I was kicked out of high school for not have a Social Security Number. My parents never had much money to pay for a lawyer and when I turned 18 it more or less turned into my issue.

I was able to gather up original documents, such as school records and after 4 different tries was able to get a delayed Birth Certificate. I then applied tried again to apply for a S.S.N. but was denied and the lady on the phone from the Social Security Office told me that I should apply for a Passport. So I saved and saved and applied for one, they took my Birth Certificate as well as 150 dollars and then 3 weeks later, gave me a rejection letter and did not return my Birth Certificate or my money. I wrote them letters asking to receive my B.C. back but they refused stating no reason why. So finally I was able to get another copy of my B.C.

I was able to use my B.C. to apply for an I.D. where I now live, Las Vegas, Nevada. I had to sign a paper stating I did not have an S.S.N. and was able to get an I.D. and am now getting ready to take my Driving Test.

I used my I.D. and my Birth Certificate to again apply for an S.S.N. in Barstow, California (Since I lived in California I thought I had to apply in California.) I filled everything out and was told by the man behind the counter that I should have no issues getting one, he has seen people get one with less. I was excited that I was finally able to get one.

I then get a letter in the mail saying I needed to request for an S.S.N. number in Nevada since that is where I now lived. So I went into the Social Security Office and was then told I needed an official, unopened, piece of paper for every year that I was born from 1989-2012.

I had explained that I used all Original Documents that I was able to find and use them for my Birth Certificate. She said then there was nothing she nor I could do.

I am now lost, I have no job, income but most importantly, I cannot finish school and go to college. I am of no Hispanic decent. My father was in the United States Marine Corps and fought overseas. My mother was adopted in California and they both own Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers. I do not understand what else I have left. I cannot afford a lawyer because I cannot legally get a job.

Any help or advice would be great as I am stuck.

OP, go here:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ss5doc/ss5doctext.htm

Onderzoek

This is one time that I think you should take your case to a congressperson or senator (Federal, not state level) with all your documents so that your case gets looked at by higher level SSA authorities. You need to know which office will process your SS application. It would be nice if you can get the name of the supervisor who can follow this through. You need to start in the office servicing your permanent residence.

Or contact the legal aid group in your city. You might also get some legal help from a student at a law school.

Hate to say it, but your parents did you wrong.

Since you were on the honor roll every year, there should be records from the schools you attended that you could obtain, unopened. Not sure you will find a document for every year.

Proserpina

This is one time that I think you should take your case to a congressperson or senator (Federal, not state level) with all your documents so that your case gets looked at by higher level SSA authorities. You need to know which office will process your SS application. It would be nice if you can get the name of the supervisor who can follow this through. You need to start in the office servicing your permanent residence.

Or contact the legal aid group in your city. You might also get some legal help from a student at a law school.

Since you were on the honor roll every year, there should be records from the schools you attended that you could obtain, unopened. Not sure you will find a document for every year.

(I was so hoping you'd stop by the thread!)

This is excellent advice, OP.

LittleBlue

Were your parents citizens?
Yes, my Grandmother (Also a U.S. Citizen) had to sign a release for my father who joined the Marines before he was of legal age. Also My mother is also a U.S. Citizen, she was born in California and adopted by my Grandparents in the same state.

LittleBlue

Yes, I was not very happy with them when I realized how important they were. Not exactly an easy way to enter adulthood. I was able to give my old report cards for my B.C. it was the main proof I was able to give.

Thank you so much. I will look into the suggestions you gave. It means more than you can understand. Thank you.

LdiJ

Yes, I was not very happy with them when I realized how important they were. Not exactly an easy way to enter adulthood. I was able to give my old report cards for my B.C. it was the main proof I was able to give.

Thank you so much. I will look into the suggestions you gave. It means more than you can understand. Thank you.
Have you provided copies of your parent's birth certificates and social security numbers as part of this process? Have your parents actively participated with you in this process? I think that would help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree with the above - this will be much easier with your parents' cooperation. I am a US citizen, born outside the US - my parents applied for an SSN for me but when I applied for a passport, my mother had to swear out an affidavit as to the years she had lived in the US. I had no trouble at all after that - my passport was issued two weeks later.

LittleBlue

Have you provided copies of your parent's birth certificates and social security numbers as part of this process? Have your parents actively participated with you in this process? I think that would help.
I have shown them my parents information but was still rejected. My parents "try" as much as they can, limited by work and money. Our relationship was become strained since I feel I have gotten the "You're an adult now, you deal with it".

OHRoadwarrior

I will be honest. This entire thing sounds like a scam. I find it highly suspicious your parents never obtained an SS # or claimed you on their taxes. Are you saying they never filed taxes?

LittleBlue

I will be honest. This entire thing sounds like a scam. I find it highly suspicious your parents never obtained an SS # or claimed you on their taxes. Are you saying they never filed taxes?
I am saying they filed taxes but never claimed me. That is fine, I did not expect everyone to understand my predicament. I was trying to see what other options I have, that I have not thought of yet. As you don't seem to care/understand my problem, I still thank you for the suggestion you gave me earlier, even though you think I'm lying.

OHRoadwarrior

I am saying they filed taxes but never claimed me. That is fine, I did not expect everyone to understand my predicament. I was trying to see what other options I have, that I have not thought of yet. As you don't seem to care/understand my problem, I still thank you for the suggestion you gave me earlier, even though you think I'm lying.
As there appears to be plenty of evidence on file with the government you are not legally their child from birth, I do not see that you have recourse. Honestly, I am not trying to be sarcastic. Have you ever considered asking the police to run your prints and see if you were an abducted infant? Contact the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children also. I am not trying to be sarcastic. I am trying to help. If you were baby napped and your birth parents took prints, that would establish who you are and with a police report, could solve your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">