• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ca SDI Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistyv_79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I recently applied for state disability insurance for my 12 year daughter, who in march was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was denied last week, and im not sure why? Is diabetes a certified disability?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I recently applied for state disability insurance for my 12 year daughter, who in march was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was denied last week, and im not sure why? Is diabetes a certified disability?
Your daughter would not be eligible for State Disability Insurance as she was not employed...

I'm sure that the denial letter states as much.

sandyclaus

Additionally, Type 1 Diabetes in itself is not considered a disability. The disease itself does not disable the person who has it. Only the resulting severe complications might, such as amputation (that impacts her mobility), or vision problems (blindness or retinopathy). If she is not suffering any complications that significantly impact her ability to live, then she would not be considered disabled and would not be entitled to ANY kind of disability benefits from any source.

Onderzoek

An illness or condition is not the same as a disability. Many many many people lead perfectly normal lives with diabetes by monitoring their food and medication and exercise closely. Mary Tyler Moore had type 1 diabetes throughout most of her adult life.

California SDI is for people who have paid SDI taxes through their jobs. Program is administered by California's Employment Development Department, EDD, the same agency that administers unemployment benefits in California.

This forum is primarily for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), two programs administered by the federal Social Security Administration and and have a higher standard of what is considered disabling than SDI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">