• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone give me a brief account of their SS Disability claim process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? VT

Hi folks, My wife has a severe bleeding disorder that causes internal bleeding into her joints. Her hematoligist told her that because one of the biggest triggers of her bleeding was stress that she couldn't work and needed to apply for SSN disability benefits which she did in August of this year. Prior to filling the actual forms, she had a phone interview to start the process and was told that she should hear something 90 days after filing. So when November came, she of course heard nothing and she called and was told that she wouldn't hear anything until the end of december at the earliest. So we decided to call our senator's office to ask them to try and find out what was the status of her case. Within a week my wife got letters stating that all of her medical records were not sufficient enough to make a determination on her case and that she had to go to a doctor of the government's choice for a physical and a Psychiatrist. So this is where we are right now**************....waiting for these appointments.

A few questions I have:
1) is it normal for SSN to totally disregard the medical records and opinions of my wife's doctors.
2) Is it normal to have to see a Psychiatrist when the disability is physical and not mental

3) Should my wife expect a "spanish inquisition" interrogation from these government approved doctors who I suspect are employed to make sure people are denied their claims.

4) After being seen by these doctors, how long do you think it will take for my wife to find out the decision? I know every case is different but even the government must have some standards for processing applications.

5) Silly question for you****************************if my wife is approved, are SSN usually quick paying the benefits considering they have taken months and months to make a decision on the case

I'll be honest I have no clue what to expect from this process and would really appreciate it if someone could give me an account of what they experienced going through this arduous process. Thank you so much for any comments you can make

Ozark_Sophist

It took 30 months from date of filing for my Administrative Law Judge hearing. At the hearing, I had medical records from two teaching hositals, both local hospitals, and multiple MRI's and other tests. I was told I was granted SSDI at the hearing by my attorney, but it took 2 months for the ALJ to complete his paperwork, have that verified and checked. Then it took a couple more months while my payment and back payment was calculated. I think 3 to 4 months from the decision is about average for SSDI payments to start.

BL

AS far as SSA stating the Dr's. reports are insufficient , SSA is not saying that those reports won't be considered .

SSA will send the applicant in this case to a facility that they use for evaluation .

Why both physical and mental ?

Stress can be a mental factor that causes physical issues .

Remember if the applicant is denied initially , there's a reconsideration process ( that the record be reviewed by an independent panel ) .

If still denied , there is appeal process , better handled by an SSI attorney .

Consults are generally free , and if the attorney takes the case it's on a contingency basis .

ShyCat

By the way, SSN is the abbreviation for Social Security Number. The governmental agency you are dealing with is SSA, Social Security Administration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">