• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he stilll get disability payments?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liudas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have an acquaintance who has 2 badly deteriorated hip joints, and he can hardly walk.

He is on Medicaid and he is also a Viet Nam vet.

For several years now he has been getting his monthly SSDI checks due to his disability. He does not want to get hip replacements, because he is afraid his SSDI monthly checks will cease if he gets the operations and can walk normally again.

If he gets 2 hip replacements and can walk normally again, will he still get his monthly SSDI checks?

Thanks

Proserpina

I have an acquaintance who has 2 badly deteriorated hip joints, and he can hardly walk.

For several years now he has been getting his monthly SSDI checks due to his disability. He does not want to get hip replacements, because he is afraid his SSDI monthly checks will cease if he gets the operations and can walk normally again.

If he gets 2 hip replacements and can walk normally again, will he still get his monthly SSDI checks?

Thanks

If the reason for the disability award is the hips being so bad, if they're fixed he may find himself no longer eligible.

Onderzoek

Thanks
I guess if he wants to be assured that his SSDI not get stopped that he not get the surgery until he is over full retirement age, 66. If the only thing wrong with him is bad hips and then they are replaced and it improves his functioning, yes it is possible that SSDI would stop. But then again, perhaps he won't improve that much. He is probably close to or already age 62 so if SSDI stopped, he could get early retirement Social Security instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">