• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I apply?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ae123

I'm in Alabama. I'm 16, married. I have mental illnesses including depression and anxiety. In currently working I just keep having panic attacks and such at work and I can't handle it. Is there any way I could apply? Is it impossible for me to get it?

I'm in Alabama. I'm 16, married. I have mental illnesses including depression and anxiety. In currently working I just keep having panic attacks and such at work and I can't handle it. Is there any way I could apply? Is it impossible for me to get it?
Can you apply for what?

Eekamouse

Has a doctor diagnosed you with depression and anxiety or are you assuming you have these afflictions? How long have you been working?

Onderzoek

Your question is can you apply; yes you can.

But will you qualify? Impossible to say. Your earnings may be considered SGA. Your spouse's earnings may make you ineligible for SSI. Or you may be approved. Or you may be denied and have to go through a long appeal period.

At 16, if you are married, you would be considered an emancipated minor and could file for yourself without a parent.

Eekamouse

I have been diagnosed by a doctor, yes.
So you are being treated for these issues currently? You could be struggling with depression due to the fact that you are 16 and married and not in high school where you're supposed to be at this age. That would certainly cause anxiety and depression in a child. Just sayin'.

ae123

I've been suffering from depression long before I even met my husband and got out of school.

Eekamouse

I was before I got married over a month ago.
And you stopped treatment why? If you are so incapacitated that you just can't work, it seems to me you should still be in treatment instead of trying to qualify for a monthly check from the government at your young age. How many months have you been working?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It took 5 seconds on Google to find this:

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/supplemental-security-income/how-to-qualify

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">