• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I buy a house on S.S.I. and other questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cncforever1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I am 24 years old and I get s.s.i. I wanted to know if it's possible to buy a house on s.s.i. and how would i even go about doing that? Like getting a loan, how much could i get in a loan without social security people taking away my monthly check from them? would i lose my benefits and money from them altogether? (i only get 700 a month and don't work) and would i have to tell the people at social security? and everything else how does it work? Is it possible for me to do?

I live in wisconsin and also wondering if it was possible for me to work and how much could i make from work and how much would i get taken off from my checks from s.s.i.?
like let's say i make $200? ________
$300 ________
$400 ________
$800 ________
how much would get taken off my checks from each of those? I get 700 a month so with that in mind i was wondering for each of those individually how much would get taken off?

also when i go for an interview how would i explain i have no job experience really would it be stupid for me to tell them i've been on s.s.i?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cncforever1

how much would I need to have for a down payment? i only get 700 a month
i'm sorry if i sound stupid i just have no idea about this stuff and i keep hearing different answers from different people. some say yes and some say no

and on other matters my payee ( a payee appointed from social security) told me i couldn't go back to school or i will lose the 700 a month that i get from s.s.i.

cncforever1

I'm trying to do better and get off s.s.i. but it seems like i can't try anything (like trying to go back to school or getting a job) at all without losing all benefits.
Well what if i try and i fail because my depression takes over like it has in the past at jobs and than i have already lost my benefits and than im screwed

but i still want to know more about being on s.s.i. and buying a house.

CourtClerk

Here's the reality.

The chances of a bank loaning you enough money to buy a house when you have no income, no job and $700/mo coming in from SSI is.... none. Have you been watching the news lately? $700/mo isn't nearly enough to cover a mortgage, insurance, property taxes, maintenance, household expenses, food, etc.

Not to mention, you'd need several thousand dollars in a down payment just to be taken seriously.

cncforever1

I have my boyfriends income..... i just am not sure if i would be able to put his name on the loan or whatever cuz i don't know how it all works with social security and all.
and i have about 2,000 saved up and we're both trying to save more.... i'ts not like i'm trying to buy a house tomorrow or anything.... you make it seem like it is impossible to get a house

the house that i was going to try to buy was my boyfriend's grandpas but i didn't move fast on it and the guy that ended up buying it got a 15 or 20 year loan or something like that and his payments are ONLY $249 a month.... the house was $50,000 so obviously it's not a definite i can't get a house type thing.

CourtClerk

Homeownership is expensive. Very expensive.

But out of pure curiosity, what is the nature of your disability that you are so disabled that you can shack up and stuff... but you can't work?

BL

Have a look around at the SSA.GOV site.

You are allowed to own a home and one car , and no other
assets over $2,000.00.

You would have to report any financial help your boyfriend contributes.

Reality is also home ownership involves upkeep and repairs ,etc .

As was said it's expensive ,whereas as renter you have no worries or obligations of such .

On the other hand you could rent a home , possibly under lease to purchase , but that might entail your responsibility to repair also.

I would lean toward a home rental that is affordable to you, if rental amounts are low in the area.

Your payee is most likely wrong about school and work.

SSA has back to work programs.

I'm not sure how SSI works in your state but you should be able to work part time as long as you keep earnings under the SGA level.

Speak to a local SSA rep.

Proserpina

the house that i was going to try to buy was my boyfriend's grandpas but i didn't move fast on it and the guy that ended up buying it got a 15 or 20 year loan or something like that and his payments are ONLY $249 a month.... the house was $50,000 so obviously it's not a definite i can't get a house type thing.

....the guy also had a much larger deposit and at least "good" credit.

cncforever1

To Proserpina

Oh you know the guy?????? What's his name?

And actually since you act like you know the guy and all..... he didn't have a downpayment AND I do have good credit. Thanks!

Proserpina

To Proserpina

Oh you know the guy?????? What's his name?

And actually since you act like you know the guy and all..... he didn't have a downpayment AND I do have good credit. Thanks!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please feel free to take your attitude elsewhere and pay an attorney to listen to you.

Try reading what I ACTUALLY wrote instead of responding to how you perceived what I wrote. Thanks!

cncforever1

Thanks so much BL your the only one that actually tried to help me out with my questions. Everyone else must just be really bored or trying to see if they can make the most amount of posts in a day.... because there's no need for all you other peoples negativity..... if you can't help me out than don't even bother posting because its a waste of my time

Proserpina

Thanks so much BL your the only one that actually tried to help me out with my questions. Everyone else must just be really bored or trying to see if they can make the most amount of posts in a day.... because there's no need for all you other peoples negativity..... if you can't help me out than don't even bother posting because its a waste of my time

You have no idea how mortgages work, do you?

Sigh. Please, speak with an attorney.

Pro out.

Antigone*

Andrew Mozillo plead guilty and now that countrywide is now BOA, and only does A paper, no one in Pro's honey's house is going to give this ahem... freeloader a loan.

Get a job and 20% down if you want the American dream:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">