• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I receive ssi benefits if????....l

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chickey

I am a single father who gained custody after social services raised concerns about my daughter's mother's mental health and a judge in the court of law ruled she's too I'll mentally to raise a child. From the looks of it it's paranoid schizophrenia but she has yet to be diagnosed properly and unless she is forced I don't believe she ever will. I also doubt I will ever receive any child support. Is it possible for me to Receive ssi benefits or any type of assistance for my daughter based on the judges ruling alone??

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am a single father who gained custody after social services raised concerns about my daughter's mother's mental health and a judge in the court of law ruled she's too I'll mentally to raise a child. From the looks of it it's paranoid schizophrenia but she has yet to be diagnosed properly and unless she is forced I don't believe she ever will. I also doubt I will ever receive any child support. Is it possible for me to Receive ssi benefits or any type of assistance for my daughter based on the judges ruling alone??
Short answer: No.

Proserpina

Your ex needs to qualify for SSDI in order for you to be able to get dependent benefits on behalf of your child.

IF she hasn't worked long enough to get SSDI and instead gets SSI, you cannot obtain dependent benefits.

And no - she cannot be compelled to apply for benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">