• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Work While I Appeal A Denial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
VIRGINIA

Hello,

Am I allowed to work "at all" if I want to appeal a denial for Social Security Disability Income?

One person tells me "no."

One person tells me "yes" as long as my average monthly income falls under $940 per month.

Another person tells me "yes", just so long as I do not come close to the $940 limit, and that the closer I come to this limit, the more likely I am to get denied.

Here's my situation:

I receive a monthly net disability retirement income, from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) from my teaching job of $1001.01 per month.

In other words, I was approved for Virginia state disability benefits, but I have been denied for Social Security Disability Income benefits.

Here are just a couple of my expenses:

RENT PLUS UTILITIES:
$800

PRESCRIPTION DRUG CO-PAYMENTS
$200

$800 + $200 = $1,000

As you can see, my monthly retirement income check is already spent.

If I do not work "at all", this leaves me with no money for the following:

Food
Toiletries
Clothing
Laundry Expenses
Co-Payments For Doctor's Visits
Car Insurance
Gasoline For My Car
Repairs For My Car
Dental Work (I Have No Dental Insurance)
Telephone Service
Internet Service
Any Type Of Savings Or Invesment Plan
Recreation

I think I have covered everything above.

As you can see, I need to "work" at some type of job, just in order to meet my survival needs.

Is it really true that doing so will disqualify me for SSDI benefits?

Any and all opinions will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,

MunchWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

The question still would be the same ( if you work or not ) , are you able to work at any substantive gainful employment ?

As far as you living issues , many folks in the same predicament live in public housing , apply for and receive sec. 8 , or just find a cheaper place to live .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">