• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my children draw a check off of their dad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladybug1969

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My ex-husband draws a SSI disability check. Everyone keeps telling me that my 2 children that he had fathered are supposed to recieve a check off of him. He has been disabled since he was 13 yrs. of age. I don't understand why they can't draw a check off of him. And if they can, do we get back pay for all the years that they haven't recieved anything? I am so confused about the whole matter. Please give me advice on this matter.

getitdone

Not if he gets SSI. SSI goes to the disabled person only. There is no extra amount payable to children. If he gets SSDI, they may be eligible to get something. That depends on how much he worked and paid in to Social Security.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">