• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone receive Death Benefits from SS from 20+yrs ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgrimwood

OH

My Father passed away about 27 years ago, and I recently found out that my Mother tried to receive Social Security for me at that time, but her claims were denied because they were not married and she could not prove that he was my Father. My question is, can I go back to try to claim the social security benefits that I should have received as a child? And how should I go about that?

seniorjudge

sgrimwood said:
OH

My Father passed away about 27 years ago, and I recently found out that my Mother tried to receive Social Security for me at that time, but her claims were denied because they were not married and she could not prove that he was my Father. My question is, can I go back to try to claim the social security benefits that I should have received as a child? And how should I go about that?
Go ahead and file for them, but do not be surprised if they tell you that the statute of limitations has run.

Also, how will you prove paternity?

sgrimwood

seniorjudge said:
Go ahead and file for them, but do not be surprised if they tell you that the statute of limitations has run.

Also, how will you prove paternity?

I found out that I have a half brother, and my father's parents are still alive. I thought that I could start there. Would I contact my local Social Security office to talk to someone about this?

seniorjudge

sgrimwood said:
I found out that I have a half brother, and my father's parents are still alive. I thought that I could start there. Would I contact my local Social Security office to talk to someone about this?
Sure, go talk to SS.

There seems to be plenty of DNA to test if it gets that far.

getitdone

Benefits for an illegitimate child are only paid from the date paternity is established - not retroactively. So unless paternity was established back when your mother applied, or before your eligibility ran out, you won't be able to get anything now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">